Charging very small batteries

I am thinking about getting into the small electric planes and am wondering about a few things.

First some of these small planes use 50mAh NiCd's, to slow charge (which you need to do the first time, and every now and then to recondition) you need a charger that will go all the way down to 5mAh, where do I find a charger that will charge that slow? I have not seen any that go any lower than 50mA which is only good to slow charge a 500mAH battery.

Second Lithium Polymer batteries: I know you have to have a charger specifically for these batteries, but again what about the really small ones like the 45mAh and 145mAh? Do these chargers go low enough for them? Do you ever need to slow charge them? I understand that you need to monitor the voltage on each cell in a pack and charge them individually if they get out of sync with each other. What about charge rates? How fast can you charge one and how fast should you charge it?

As a side question is a 2 cell Lithium Polymer battery too high a voltage to run a GWS R-4P and 2 FMA PS20 servos?

-- Chris W

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Reply to
Chris W

I finally found one. It is an Ace Hobby DDVC. It will charge from 1 to 10 cells at an adjustable rate of from 5 to 500 mA on 2 independent channels. It's kind of high for a slow charger (It doesn't have any peek sensing ability) $80. I think for now I will just use the resister in series with my slow charger that came with my radio.