Fiberglassing practice

I asked this about 4 days ago and didn't get a response so I guess I will try once more. I need to find a airplane kit or just a wing kit that has a fully sheeted wing so I can practice doing putting epoxy and glass down and then painting. I want to find something to practice on before I start this 1/4 scale RV-7 I am designing.

-- Chris W

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Reply to
Chris W

If you have a plane already, contact Dynamic Balsa,

(I think!) for some foam wing cores for it. Then, sheet them with balsa and apply your 'glass. Most of the giant-scale planes use balsa-sheeted foam wings with painted fiberglass covering. It makes a very tough wing!

Reply to
Morris Lee

I meant to say Sig Kommander. The Kavalier is built up.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

You mean to say that you have no idea what plane to buy, or just can't find a Sig King Kobra or Kavalier? There are plenty of planes with foam cores available. Call a local hobby shop and ask them.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

If this is all you want to do, and your not going to use them, just cut out a few football shaped ribs a little under 3 or 4 inches long. glue a

3 or 4" piece of sheeting to one side, cap the "LE" and "TE" with a stick, then sheet the other side. The hardest part (well, still easy) is the wingtip. Just make one to the shape of the rv7 out of a balsa block and stick it on. You don't need to make this more than 6 inches span to get the bugs out.
Reply to
John Alt

Most of my experience is with scratch built, I really don't know what kits have sheeted wings. I am really hoping to find a built up wing that is fully sheeted, I've never done a foam core and I don't want to be trying 2 new things at once. The local hobby shops don't seem to have much of a selection either. I couldn't find the Kommander that you mentioned in your post at tower hobbies or the SIG site. The other one looks like what I want but not my kind of plane. I would like to have several to pick from. It's hard to tell looking through the catalogs which ones have sheeted wings.

-- Chris W

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Reply to
Chris W

Why not glue some balsa sheet to a piece of styrofoam and practice on that?

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

What kind of plane are you looking for?

Also, you can sheet any built up wing.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Great suggestion, Dan!

Or even easier, why not skip the foam and practice on a piece of 1/16" balsa? If its compound curves you're worried about, try covering a block of shaped wood.

-Fritz

Reply to
Fritz Bien

Chris --

You have received a lot of suggestions for parts to practice on, but might I suggest you browse through an article on "Fiberglassing Techniques" that I have published at my Web Site?It's a system taught to me and it works great -- simple and even more importantly, LIGHT.

Cheers -- \__________Lyman Slack_________/ \______AMA6430 IMAA1564___/ \____Fly> >

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Reply to