Scale details

I am in the process of designing a 1/4 scale RV 6/7. I am trying to get as much scale detail as possible. To give you an idea of some of the things I am doing. I plan on having a control stick that moves with the servos in the cockpit, I might even put working rudder pedals in it. Any way there are a few things I can't find that I need to make this as close to scale as I can. Below is a list of things I would like suggestions on or help finding. First some basics info on the plane; Wing span 75" Wing cord 14.5" Length 63" Fuselage width at wing spar

11"

Elevator and rudder hinges: the real plane has rod end bearings attached to the rudder and elevator to use as hinges. The problem I am having is that all the scale rod ends I can find are female thread and with the tight fit, I really need a rod end with a 4-40 MALE thread that has a ball with a hole for a 2-56 screw. I would settle for 4-40 on both ends or 2-56 on both ends, similar size metric rod ends would be fine too.

Flap hinge: the flap is hinged to the bottom skin of the wing with a piano hinge. I was thinking of using a monokote hinge but I don't know how well that will hold up, I have never done one before. The flap is

14.5" by 2.75"

Servo horns. I would like to get servo horns (for JR servos) that are one and two ended that don't have any holes so I can drill my own holes at 1.125 and .75 inches out and a few other distances too.

Engine mounting: I am planning on using a Saito 182 and the distance from the fire wall to the prop hub is about 3 3/4" too short. So I am wondering if it would be better to redesign the forward fuselage by moving the firewall forward or to just make some kind of spacer for the engine mount.

Laser cutting: where is a good place to get all this wood laser cut.

-- Chris W Oklahoma City

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Reply to
Chris W

Didja lookit Tower stock number LXD906 ?

That's a 4-40 ball end with a 2-56 ball. All you would need to do is screw in a length of threaded 4-40 stock and cut it off to suit.

Small Parts has stainless piano hinge which should suffice. It's small enough to be used on hatches, etc. I used the 1/2" version on the fuel access door on a 1/3 scale Extra 230.

Find

and download the .pdf product catalog.

Do JR provide 'degree wheels' with their servos ? I dunno what they're actually called, but they are marked for figuring out travel end points. The Futaba version look like item FSH-6R at

It's just a splined wheel, and you can cut it any way you want. Be sure to radius the arm into the hub where it merges with the hub.

Build a box and mount it on the firewall. Be sure to mount it very securely, perhaps with through-bolts and epoxy.

For one kit ? Sounds expensive. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Am I blind or just stupid but I couldn't see a .pdf catalogue on that site ?

Reply to
Boo

You have to go to one of their online catalog sections to see the link for the catalog.

-- Chris W