!/4 Scale Pushrods?

Hey gang: What are you guys using for pushrods now for 1/4 scale: Just got back into building. Back in the 80s I was stuck with hardwood dowels braced along the Fuse: still had a little slop. Anything new out there that might be better ?

Denis Winters <

Reply to
Denis Winters

Carbon fiber?

Reply to
Morris Lee

Carbon fiber rods. Pull/pull setups. Mounting the servos near the moving surfaces and using short rods.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Depends on the plane. My 1/4 Fokker Dr.1 uses 2-56 Golden Rods. Some 3D planes need solid titanium. :)

Take a look at Dave Brown Arrowshaft pushrods. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Carbon fibre TUBES are stiffer and lighter than rods.

Snakes.

And the above.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually, not much has changed because even though there are some newer ways of doing things, we modelers (from what I see at fly-ins) are doing things pretty much the same ways we did 20 years ago. One of the things you might remember from the '80's was how people talked that ny-rods (large OR small) would shrink and stretch due to temperature which meant messing with trims. Well, with the newer computer radios, resetting trims (as little as might be needed) is no big deal so I still like the large size ny-rods since they are so easy to install (and I personally haven't seen any of the "stretch" that some people talk about). Plus, they are virtually slop-free if they are supported in two or three places between the ends. If I weren't so lazy, I'd be installing pull-pull cables... maybe someday :-)

MJC

"Denis Winters" wrote in message news:4179924c$0$24882$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetcompany.com...

Reply to
MJC

That's bogus. I did a test of standard yellow-in-red Golden Rods about 10 years ago. I put an 18" length in the freezer for an hour and measured it. Then I put it in a 200 degree oven for 30 minutes and remeasured it. The difference was less than 1/32".

And you're right, you can easily trim out any perceived length changes.

Properly anchored along the length, they are slop and practically friction-free.

They are VERY easy to install and adjust, too. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Yea, that's what I was getting at. I got tired of the self decreed "pros" who would tell me over and over how ny-rods would shrink, but I personally never experienced it in all the installations I did in the "real world" (your freezer and oven test aside). It's one of those RC "Urban Legends" that sounds good (because EVERYTHING stretches or shrinks with temperature, right?) but has no basis in fact. The reality is that whatever changes that may be caused by temperature are so minute as to be undetectable.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

i can't remember ever telling anyone that a nyrod would shrink, but i told plenty that they would expand under heat. and that was my experience, several years flying gliders through 40% airplanes. the exception was the carbon fiber ny rods, which work very well on a variety of applications from throttle to pull pull systems. it never occurred to me to try and freeze them, because i didn't fly in the snow, but there was an obvious change when the sun started to nudge into triple digits.

Reply to
PaulBK58

"Nyrods" maybe, but not Golden Rods. They are two different products. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I have used Goldnrods and the cheap ones. I have never run across any significant trim changes with either. Flying in AZ, we could get 40 degrees of temp change from morning to afternoon.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I usually mount the servos close to the control surface and use carbon fiber or even 4-40 rods. One can usually keep the length of the rods under 6" this way. Like many of the other guys here , I have used Ny Rod with no problems. I used to hear all the negatives on that setup from the purists , but I think most of it was in their heads. LOL I do like to use push-pull on the rudder and on most all except for funfly aircrafts...sometimes even on them. I suppose that considering my degree of talent for flying these things , thats probably in my head also......but it looks nice LOL

Hey , welcome back.

Do you have a computer radio yet ? If not , can't wait to hear you tell us about your first one. They're great.

Ken Day

Reply to
Ken Day

Bob Tomlinson

Aussie RC Enthusiast and Rugby Fanatic.

Thank heavens the USA hasn't discovered and packaged Rugby.

Reply to
adder