oversize engine

I just ordered a Great Planes Ultimate Bipe which requires a .40 to .46 size engine. I would like to put a .61 in it instead (I'm a power hungary fool) and was wondering if anybody out there has attempted/done this and what problems they might have encountered. Was there enough increase in performance to justify your modifications or should I save a few bucks and stay with the recommended engine? Since this is a winter project (in upstate New York) I'll have plenty of time on my hands

Reply to
dredhea

first problem will be the extra wing loading next you will have to add weight to counter the nose heavyness from the larger engine, hence more wing loading... It will be powerful but most likely to fly like a PIG, I would not go over a 50 if you want extra power.

Reply to
tailfeathers

I put a Saito .91 on that plane.

Problem encountered: It wouldn't fly through trees worth a damn. A friend took the fuselage, rebuilt it, attached two Avistar wings to it, and is still flying it. I'm sure he's got it overpowered, but I don't know by how much.

Yes.

Where are you in upstate? I'm in Buffalo.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I did some searching on the GP Ultimate and most say it was a rather heavy beast that would benefit from some extra oomph. Your wing loading will increase, and you might wind up nose heavy, but that can be corrected by putting the battery, and the elevator and rudder servos in the tail. Just make sure you beef up the battery compartment so it won't go tearing through the fuselage if you make an unintended landing. Try to build it light as you can, but go for the .61.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

LOL. I live in Fulton, which is about halfway between Syracuse and Oswego. I don't think I'll go as much as that as this is my second plane and I still haven't learned to fly the first one, even through trees. I just finished building a PT-40 with a .46 on it.

Reply to
dredhea

If you're ever up here in Buffalo, we can ask Erol to fly his Ultimate Avistar for you. ;o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

A lot of nonsense answers! A 46 will under power the plane. A 61 will make it go fast in a straight away. A Tower 75? is just a bored out 61 but a lot faster (and lighter). You really want an OS 91 FS for that plane, then you can do whatever you want, whenever you want to. :)

When you balance it hang it by a string from the ceiling. With a 91FS it balanced perfect. Don't forget to add a brace where the CG is before you cover it:) -- so you can screw a small eyelet in to hold the string. OH, and don't put a smoke systen in it. The engine doesn't get hot enough.

Reply to
Andrew

The biggest thing you want to do when using an "oversize" engine is to make the plane balance properly without having to add tail weight. If you mount the engine as far back on the mount as possible and mount the servos as far back as possible, you might be able to avoid needing tail weight. Something that is more work, but cures nose heaviness when using bigger engines, is to chop the nose off and install a new firewall farther back. I have a Sundancer that I bought with an ST 91. I wanted to use an OS 1.20 twin, so I shortened the nose about two inches. It balances properly with the heavier engine, but the only weight I added was the extra weight of the engine which changes the wing loading very little. It flies great.

Reply to
kokomoNOSPAMkid

Reply to
Howard

There are .50 size engines available with nearly the power of a .60 and weigh less than most .40's. That way you can have extra power without all that extra weight.

-- Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins