RE: Soldering pushrods

Let no one in this group say I will not eat crow. Not tasty, but necessary sometimes.

I picked up some lead-free silver bearing 95/5 solder and some 'general purpose paste flux'. I tried Ace, Home Depot, and Lowe's and could not find any of the recommended solders or fluxes.

Anyhooo, I got out 2 nails - 16p framing to be sure they were not coated or plated. Using my Weller WTCP iron which was not really enough heat even using an 800deg tip, I tinned the nails after thorough cleaning with Scotch-brite and fluxing while heating them. Using the silver bearing solder, I joined the 2 nails in a cross fashion - the joint was not pretty since I lacked the proper heat. After letting them cool to where I could handle them bare fingered, I applied scissor force to the joint. It took 15-20 lbs of force to break the joint. There was nice evidence of good tinning on the nail that lost all of the joint.

So now all you roosters can stand up and crow " I was right !".

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Not aware of any feathers on my head.

What's important is you understand that steel can indeed be soldered, and won't shy away from soldering steel should the need arise.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust home.mindspring.com/~the-plumber

Reply to
Fred McClellan

You're a man among men, David.

The three hardest words for a man to say are, "I was wrong." :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Well, good for you! At least you had the guts to try something new rather than just sit back. Now you can go forth and solder!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I always thought they were "I am lost."

Reply to
David Hopper

No crowing allowed. I'm glad you found out the real scoop! Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Fair enough. ;o)

I'm preparing a course on Man as a Second Language. Here are some of the lessons:

"I was wrong."

"I don't know."

"I am lost."

"I need help."

"Ouch, that hurts."

"I love you." (Not to be confused with "Let's have sex.")

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

David's challenge taught me a lot, too.

I'm feeling optimistic about my future soldering/brazing career. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

The easiest words are, "You are wrong." John

Reply to
John R. Agnew