Salt water...

Just wondering if anyone flys of of " SALT " water and what precautions to
take....
De VO1ET Jerry
Reply to
Jerry
I don't know about salt, but I know a bloke who regularly flies at another field fairly close to ours. Unfortunately, theirs is *very* sandy, being almost on the beach. When I see the amount of sand that comes out of the cowls on his planes, I just shudder because he *doesn't* use air filters.
MrBonk

Rural QLD Call
Stay out of it as the electronics are unrecoverable in almost all cases. . . . .
Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High
1. Use a surgical glove, pop the receiver through the wrist and feed the wires through the fingers. Strap it up nicely with elastic bands. Don't worry about the battery.
2. Use plenty of Q20/WD40 on the outside of the motor after flying and after-run oil (I use compressor oil) on the inside..
3. Don't crash.
I fly off a tidal lagoon for about 2 weeks of the year during our December (Summer) holidays. The screws on the cylinder head of my Thunder Tiger have a light coating of rust but otherwise no visible problems.
Jerry wrote:
Reply to
Grant
Untrue. I have dunked a plane in saltwater sever times. I took it in, and immediately took everything apart, rinsing it well in tap water, shook it out, then dried it with a hairdryer, and everything worked just fine, every time..
Reply to
Morgans
...as long as the plane doesn't have high blood pressure, the extra salt shouldn't be a problem.
Reply to
Scott Klinger
Is it OK to fly off salt water when it's snowing? Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email
Reply to
Dan Thompson
Not so Six. A lot of boaters run in the salt. You just have to take appropriate precautions. Like seal that radio tight!
Reply to
Fly Higher
I guess it is alright to do that when you live there. I was visiting and the system was toast when I got home (a 4 hour drive at the end of the day).
Live and learn. LOL
precautions
Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High
As Morgans said "IMMEDIATELY". The 4 hours was the killer. You could have saved it if you had put it in a baggie of fresh water until you got home.
David
Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH
But David, The coast is at least a 3 hour drive from here if there is no traffic!
Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High
How many grocery or convenience stores did you pass ? Any one of them would have yielded some sort of container that you could have put the water and receiver in. But as everyone knows - 20/20 hindsight !
David
Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH