Only $29.99 to buy Towers JUNK

Hey guys for only $29.99 you are allowed to buy Towers Junk at the scratch and dent sale. I think I saw maybe three things that don't require membership in there "Club". Don't get me wrong I will still deal with them, I just can't see why you have to join there "club" to buy damaged goods at any price. My Dimes worth. Donald

Reply to
DMPLMP

Im guilty of ordering from Tower once or twice. But if you look hard enough theres always someone who'll give as good or better a deal and out-do their service. Call and talk to Chris at

orders $100 or more he'll beat Towers price by 5% ...shipped ! His is a good deal but there might be a guy near you as well thats willing to take Tower on too.

- JJ

Reply to
JJ

And the prices are incredible! You get a damaged fuselage from an ARF for

60% of the full ARF price!
Reply to
Paul McIntosh

They'll gladly sell you a new fuse at 50% of the full price of the ARF. What a deal you only paid 110%.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

There used to be some screaming good deals in there, but they seem fewer and further between thse days. And the new "members only" provision helped me make up my mind, "NO MORE, I have enough crap anyway"!! I hate spending money for the opportunity to spend more money. Daze

Reply to
Daze

It's a perk for joining the club. It used to be open to everybody but the really good stuff got snatched up really quick. Now they have closed most of it to club members which gives club members a better chance to get something. I agree, most stuff is junk but maybe somebody just needs a left wing or a fuselage.

If you don't order much, then the club is not for you however I save more than the membership cost in shipping every year. Thanks for the perk, Tower!

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

Did you mention to them how much you spend there annually?

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Don't think Tower has any slice marks on it's throat.

The Scratch-N-Dent thing has always been questionable because the prices aren't usually discounted enough. In all the years I've dealt with Tower I've never bought anything off that list 'cuz it just wasn't worth it.

The Scratch-N-Dent 'sale' is for folks who need something they can't get elsewhere and don't have the capacity to build their own repair parts, and like a rummage sale, you may find exactly what you need to fix your model at some sort of savings short of having to buy the whole kit. Caveat Emptor.

The Scratch-N-Dent sale prices alone don't justify the cost of joining the SSC, nor is access to the S-N-D list the only thing available to SSC members.

SSC members always advance notice on new products, like the 9ZAS WC II radio system - by the time the system was made available to non-members the waiting list was >five months longand< having a $7.99 shipping charge waived.

It cost me $15.00 to have $47.99 worth of shipping charges waived, and where I live that's a deal.

(As an aside, I also thought it was a deal when I got the laser incidence meter at nearly >half-price< through the SSC. I hadn't planned on buying the thing at list price because I've got two other good mechanical incidence meters and they work as advertised - or so I thought. When the laser incidence meter went on sale in the SSC flyer, I snagged one. I was WAY wrong on the value of that tool. I checked my existing models and found errors in the alignment of those models, which were built using a Robart meter. I'm using the laser incidence meter now to make sure the torsion box for the building table goes together dead flat, and you can't do that with a mechanical incidence meter.)

If you do very much model building the Super Saver Club can be a wise choice.

The Scratch-N-Dent sale has always been a crap shoot in terms of price versus value received. Cheers, Fred McClellan the dash plumber at mindspring dot com

Reply to
Fred McClellan

There are diamonds in the dirt !

I got an Avistar Select - airplane, Futaba 4VF radio, and OS 40 LA for $112 there !!!!! I just sold the OS on ebay for $40, so I got a radio and plane for $79 including the shipping! The covering was slightly damaged on one wing panel by the aileron hinge line.

Some time ago, I got a Nexus 30 ARF w/ OS 32 engine for $265, and used a $15 discount number on it. Tower regular price was $450. The box was severely smashed, but no damage to heli.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Counter that with:

LS0922 Available to Club Members Only: Great Planes 1/4 Extra 300S Wagstaff ARF 1.60-2.0,78" (New/Severe Damage) damaged fuselage; missing wings & cowl 429.99 160.00

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Sounds to me a lot like the club at Barnes & Nobel. You can join the club for i think 25 or 30.00 and you get 5% off books. When ever they ask me I all ways tell them if they should reward me for free if i buy often from them and that to get back my money i would have to spend around 300 to

600.00 worth of books to just break even . But I guess folks do join suckers born every min.

Martin Poles

Reply to
martyp

If you have 4 orders over $150 in one year, you got your money back in free shipping.

If you don't buy a lot, it's not for you.

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten