High Voltage Towers Grounded?

Are the towers that carry very high voltage lines grounded
to the earth or are the towers insulated from the earth?
Reply to
Al Smith
What do you consider high voltage?
Actually all transmission (nearly all) structures are grounded and most distribution poles are as well.
Charles Perry P.E.
Reply to
Charles Perry
in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Al Smith at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 6/11/04 1:30 PM:
They are grounded whether you want them so or not.
Bill
Reply to
Repeating Rifle
Hello All
I think Charles is in the USA. It is not clear where the questioner is. In the UK Wood Pole lines up to 132 kV would only have local earths where it was necessary for operational reasons eg at switching points, or where there were cable connections
John
Reply to
Eur Ing John Rye
Yes, grounded. In fact the term counterpoise was developed to enhance grounding of those towers.
Al Smith wrote:
Reply to
w_tom
I believe the reference makes sense only to metallic (typically steel) towers. Wood pole lines in North America would also not have the poles (or mounting bolts, etc) grounded. However there may well be multiple grounds of an overhead ground wire if one is present.
Reply to
Don Kelly
in article tFtzc.720363$Pk3.91101@pd7tw1no, Don Kelly at snipped-for-privacy@peeshaw.ca wrote on 6/14/04 8:02 PM:
Nevertheless, cross-arm fires do get started from time to time.
Bill
Reply to
Repeating Rifle
--------- Sure but grounding of hardware (bolts, braces, etc ) won't prevent this. In fact the likelihood of fires will likely increase as the "wood" path is shorter. I doubt whether cross-arm fires are a serious consideration for utilities and grounding these is generally not cost effective. .
Reply to
Don Kelly