problems with washes..

Im really having trouble applying washes... I painted my model with Tamiya acrylic paints, then coated it with two coats of future. Waited a few days for the future to dry then proceeded to apply a black wash thinned with isopropyl alcohol. With only light brushing, its going straight through the future and my paint job is coming off on my brush. So far neither Dullcote nor Future is holding up under washes. Now Im stuck with a wash that im not able to wipe because itll wipe off my paint. I also tried wiping with Tamiya Acrylic thinner and the same thing happened. Any help would b appreciated. Thanks

Kyle

Reply to
Kyle

Don't use a solvent in the wash. If you're using water-based paints, thin the wash with straight water rather than alcohol. If it beads, add a tiny amount of dishwashing liquid to break the surface tension. Artists' watercolors work well. It's not usually recommended that you make washes from acrylics, as they don't always adhere well if the binder is thinned too heavily. If you do use it, apply a clear flat overspray to fix the pigments when it's dry. Gerald Owens

Reply to
GERYO

So what do I thin with if I'm washing with enamels?

Kyle

Reply to
Kyle

If I remember correctly, alcohol dissolves Future and is recommended to actually strip it from kits, so I guess don't use it for a wash over Future and most acrylics, especially Tamiya because its thinner is alcohol-based. I don't know about Dullcote, though. I've had very good results using artist's oils (real oils, not acrylic based) thinned with mineral spirits over fully cured acrylics and Future. It has never attacked the finish for me and goes exactly where I want. So far, it's been great.

Reply to
T. Forward

It sounds like the alcohol is eating through the future and into the paint.

Why don't you try a wash using water based paints? Ceramcoat makes a black wash. You paint it on and then wipe it off. This shouldn't hurt the future.

Reply to
ducky87

I went thru the same thing until I did the following..

Paint your model with acylics or enamels. Coat with future. Wait 24 hours..

Buy some OIL PAINTS! I use Turpenoid thinner with the oil paints and the washes come out fantastic. You can let the wash dry and still wipe off the excess 24 hours later. Oil paints are the only way to go for washes..

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff