washes

After working on my Jagdpanzer it was painted using Tamiya Acrylics. Wanting to do a pretty heavy wash I applied a heavy coat of Testors dullcoat (which is petroleum based as far as i know, at least it smells like it!)to act as a barrier between my paint job and my wash. However when i went to go apply the wash which was basically 95% Isopropyl Alcohol, it went right through the dullcoat and smeared my paint job pretty badly. I was under the impression if you painted with acrylics you needed and petroleum based coat to protect during your wash. What did I do wrong? Thanks for any help in advance..

Kyle snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Kyle

Well, for starters, using a dullcoat... keep it glossy 'til the end, or the wash will "stick" in places you don't want.

Reply to
EGMcCann

Testors Dullcoat is some kind of lacquer but reacts with alcohol, as you found out the hard way. Try using an acrylic clearcoat and washing with enamels or oils, and go with a gloss clearcoat instead. Save the clear flat until your wash and any other weathering is finished and cured.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

in article jZednVGeMt1gaQrdRVn snipped-for-privacy@texas.net, Kyle at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 5/4/04 2:59 PM:

I generally paint with acrylics, seal with Future, and then apply an oil based wash. I suppose you might look for a clear lacquer to seal the color coats and that would work with all washes. Never tried a clear "enamel" to seal the color.

BTW, I prefer regular oil paints thinned with lighter fluid (naptha). If that's not available, try some rubber cement thinner. It blushes (almost dry) in seconds and doesn't affect the Future.

HTH

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell