Turpenoid and oil washes

I got the Floyd Werner Master Class Clinic DVD for the Hasegawa BF109-G6 and he uses Turpenoid for his oil washes. I have been just using regular thinner (white spirits) for my washes until now but I always did them over the top of a Humbrol gloss coat. Of course when I tried to use thinner without a barrier over the top of the RLM66 Model Master enamel in my 109 cockpit the thinner reacted with the enamel and it looked like crap.

So I bought an FW-190-A4 kit to practice on and I also bought a can of Turpenoid at the local artist supply store. This stuff is called 'Turpenoid Natural' in a green can made by Weber in Philadelphia. I got it home and went to do a wash and I was not a happy camper. This stuff seems extremely viscous and it would not flow at all after mixing with the oils and put on to the model.

Are there different kinds of turpenoid? Did I get a bum batch or something? The stuff Floyd is using looks as thin as water .

Reply to
Jeff_from_Canada

Jeff_from_Canada wrote: (snip)

Indeed, Weber makes 'turpenoid', plain-jane turpenoid in a white and blue can. I made the same mistake by asking my wife to pick up a can while at Michael's. She got me the same product you have; I seem to recall that 'naturel' or however it's spelled is a brush conditioner. It's definately not what you want to use as a wash base... Look for the regular stuff - it's water clear and has no scent. It works great just as Floyd uses it. I just got the DVD's yesterday and have yet to go through them but the ones playing at MosquitoCON were neat to see.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

That's good to know thanks! thought I was losing it there =8-)

The DVD's are great. I can't play the last 4 chapters of disk 3 on my laptop for some reason. The disk plays fine on my wife's laptop though so I don't think there's a problem with the media.

The DVD was the first time I had seen pre-shading. I tried it on the FW-190 and it does have a neat effect. A lot more subtle than the stark panel lines that you see when using a wash.

Now if I could just get the fine tip/needle on my Badger 150 to work predictably the world would be my oyster =8-)

Reply to
Jeff_from_Canada

I use artists turpentine made by Art Spectrum for washes ,has a bit of an odour ,and not as aggressive as the regular hardware store turpentine, which I use for cleaning brushes and my airbrush .

It will still attack the enamel paints if you don't have an acrylic coat.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

That makes sense. I was surprised when Floyd ran the wash over the enamel without a barrier, but on further reading here on RMS it seems Turpenoid is the way to go. Otherwise for something like a cockpit you're going through a 4 phase project (paint, gloss,wash,flat)

Reply to
Jeff_from_Canada

I bought some and had the same problen,I bought it in an Artist supply store, figured they would know what i wanted.mine also is quite thick, I'll try Francis's suggestion and use it up as a bruh cleaner Regards

Andy (in Toronto)

Reply to
Andy Irving

Reply to