Turpenol ?

Googling for info on Oil Washes, turpenol keeps cropping up as the thinner.

What's the UK equivalent? Ordinary Turpentine? Synthetic turps? Turpentine replacement ?

T.

Reply to
Tony Gartshore

on 6/14/2007 2:48 PM Tony Gartshore said the following:

My wife uses it in her oil painting. It is a synthetic product that doesn't have the strong odor of turpentine. If there is a UK equivalent , you will more likely find it in artist's supply stores.

Reply to
willshak

Thanks Bill,

I know what I'm looking for now...

T.

Reply to
Tony Gartshore

Try searching under these terms :

a. Artist Turpentine b. Gum Turpentine or Gum Turps

An art supplier will definitely have it because this is what artists use to thin out their paints.

Reply to
veritas

Also ,

If you live in the U.K why don't you just buy" Humbrol Thinner" and a "Thinner Jar" ? Its gentler on the paintwork than Turpenol analogues and will do the same job as a wash .

Reply to
veritas

I'm in the UK and I use white spirit, usually the Homebase stuff. OK on enamels, but be careful with acrylics...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

What do you use as a wash over an acrylic-based paint job ?

Reply to
veritas

The best thing to use, is plain old, inexpensive mineral spirits. I believe it is referred to as "white spirit(s)" in the U.K. Turpentine (or actually "turpen-anything") is actually a bit too strong for the purposes model builders need. The "spirits" work fine. And even the cheap stuff is perfect (The type you buy at places like Walmart, labeled "Paint Thinner" and selling for $1.99/gallon-jug.)

You can use an oil wash over any other medium - just make sure your color coats are dry and cured - and use caution and care. It actually works *better* over acrylic paints. It won;t attack the acrylics (again, make sure they are fully cured), and if you mess up, it can be cleaned off without fear of eating into the color coats.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Yep.

It's what I use for thinning Hannant's Xtracolour enamels.

As you say, dirt cheap from any DIY store..

Thanks to everyone for the replies..

T.

Reply to
Tony Gartshore

I tend not to use washes, except on armour. I prefer pastel chalks, finely ground and applied gently with a fine brush.

for AFVs, I use the artists water-based "oil" paint a lot, as it seems to be able to "cut" with anything!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

That's interesting. When I bought my first oils for washing I accidently picked up 3 tubes of acrylic instead. I kept them but never used them because I wasn't sure how they would lay down over an acrylic base. What's your method for using the acrylic tube stuff?

TF

Reply to
TF