cookie

applique armor has come back in iraq? what else is in the tuff package?

Reply to
someone

Depends on the vehicle. The Abrams has ERA fits now as does the M2A3/ M3A2 ODS Bradley family. The Stykers have both a bar armor ("slat armor") fit as well as a new array, but I have no idea about the new one as to whether or not it is passive or active. Saw it the other day on Missing Lynx.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

they had a special on facories and showed the lima plant rebuilding the abrams. they sure do a lot of work. what does the upgrade cost the taxpayer? it looked like it was almost anew tank. wasn't too much original except for shape and rebuilt powerplant. i want one of those turbines!

Reply to
someone

You'd have to get a copy of the Army budget and check the expenditure for upgrades/rebuilds.

The M1s that go in come out totally redone and are upgraded with all of the new whistles and bells. Most are now becoming M1A2 SEP with other changes as well. Even older M1s can come out with new turrets and armor fittings to meet the same standard.

I got a kick a few years ago of a briefing I got on Russian rebuild programs. One place rolled a T-80B in one end and at the other out rolled...a brand-new quality T-80B. NOTHING was changed to an upgrade, only old parts replaced. Talk about a waste of money (the B is a dog, and the more function ones are Us or UDs.)

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

shows no one country has a monopoly on fuckups. but you'd think russia would have learned from the ussr's mistakes. does the lima company use any of the old lima locomotive physical plant? i always wondered what happened to their stuff. i saw a documentary about the company and the factory was pretty big and sprawling. bill b? you know about that?

Reply to
someone

Most of the rebuilt tanks (M1A1) come out as M1A1AIM. All the M1A2SEP are rebuilt from the older M1IP. I think the last brand new tanks off the assembly line were the straight M1A2 tanks, most of which have been sent back for refit to M1A2SEP. Everything since then has been rebuilds.

The TUSK or Tank Urban Survivabiltiy Kit has several components, some of which were not accepted like the rear grill guard. The ones accepted were the Loaders Auxillary Gun Shield, T/I phone, and the ERA. Fitting the ERA requires removal of the standard ballistic skirts. There were more parts of the kit that were accepted. I think the loader's thermal sight that tied into his CVC helmet was accepted. The loader can be inside the turret and see where his gun is pointing through his helmet eyepiece. Real cool stuff.

Reply to
RobG

indeed. thanks for the info.

Reply to