Re: Cleaning Phot Etch Frets

Mineral Spirits is in some languages known as Terpentin / Turpentine, and is one of several types of paint thinner. I guess that most of them will do fine, use your regular brand. Vinegar is a very slight acid and acid is used for doing the Photo Etchings, so thats probably not the best idea. Also often simple washing up detergents will do the job.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

Here in the USA, "mineral spirits" usually refers to plain old cheap paint thinner. For example, if you go to a Walmart, or other big retail "box" store, you will find gallon jugs labeled "Paint Thinner". In many, if not most, cases....this is mineral spirits. It is excellent for cleaning the brass, as well as other things. And it is the best type of thinner for many of our hobby uses, such as thinning oil paints; as it is not as harsh as lacquer thinner ("cellulose thinner", I believe, for those of you in the UK); and not "gummy" like turpentine.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

vinegar won't work well. some paint thinners are mineral spirits. i use laquer thinner or just plain warm soapy water. alcohol will take off oils, too.

Just go for the gallon. When I referred to it as "cheap", I was not exaggerating.

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Personally, I use lacquer thinner. It seems to do a good job, both with cleaning paint brushes, the air brush AND photo etch frets. Good all purpose liquid dynamite.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Here In Oz turpentine is used for thinning oil based enamel house paints and mixed with Linseed oil for treatment of timber.It was trditionaly made from tree bark .

I reckon our eqivelant of your mineral spirit is white spirit which is a petroleum product ,almost like the old type lighter fluid (not the naptha derivative)

Vinegar will etch brass very lightly whitch gives a tooth for the paint to adhere to

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Reply to
Ron