Model airplane suggestions wanted.

I'm currently in the process of building mini dioramas based around the Airfix Emergency, Refulling, and Recovery sets. So far, everything is going well in the buying and building bit (I'm doing the Emergency diorama first). However, I want to build a diorama around an aircraft being refulled and rearmed. I want to use the tractor and bomb trolleys from the Airfix Short Sterling kit, but I'll only have the space for a single or a twin engined aircraft. What aircraft carried the same bombs as provided in the Sterling kit? Oh, an open bomb bay would be nice.

Spudgun

Reply to
Spudgun

What about a DH Mosquito?

Reply to
steve.l.new

How about Lancaster/Manchester and maybe the Wellington...???

Reply to
Mark Stevens

And another one...The Halifax...??

Reply to
Mark Stevens

If you're happy with old Airfix quality and you can find one, the Hampden has an open bomb bay with some (very rudimentary and probably inaccurate) interior detail and a set of bombs which look the same size as those in the Stirling kit.

Dave Rogers

Reply to
dave.rogers

This is probably your best bet. For one thing, you have a lot more kit choices. between the fighter-bomber and pure bomber configurations. It will also take up less space than the other twins suggested here.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Halifax wasn't single or twin engined.

Reply to
frank

Thanks for the suggestions. The Mozzie presents the widest choice (it's also on the box art of the refulling set), but who makes the best one? I like the idea of the Hampden, as I've never built one before. Is it smaller than the Wellington? I'm inclined to look at some a little 'off the beaten track', like a Fairey Battle or a MkI Blenhiem.

Spudgun

Reply to
Spudgun

The Hampden is shorter in fuselage length and span than a Wimpy. It is a fairly unusual sight when built.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller