Am I going senile?

Years ago (late 60's to the early 70's), I used to go down to my local hobby store and buy an Airfix kit on every saturday. I spend a few hours building it, then I'd spend the rest of the week playing around with it until saturday came again.

For the past four weeks, I've been doing (more or less) the same again. Every Friday, I go down to the same hobby store (It's still there folks!), buy some old series zero Aifix kit, spend a week building and painting it, until friday comes along again.

After around twenty years of buying quality kits, accurising and painting them, I have to know if I'm going senile.

Spudgun

Reply to
Spudgun

seems like a pleasant way to got me. you could do a lot worse.

Sounds like you rediscovered the fun of it all...more power to ya!

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Sounds to me as though it was the intervening 20 years during which you suffered mentally. AMS is my long distance diagnosis. :-)

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

We have a guy who comes to our model club with a new model every month. Always

1:72 scale, usually of questionable quality, always an interesting subject.

The sort of thing most of us were doing 20 years ago - bit of glue showing here, silvering under the decals there, not quite straight edges on the invasion stripes - you know the thing.

But he is prolific - he has a vast collection and always brings along the latest release made up.

Then there is another guy who brings along a masterpiece about every twelve months - usually 1:48th scale, always immaculately finished, with lots of 'aftermarket' accessories, decal sheets etc.

He has agonised every month about the accuracy of the kit, whether the quoted paints are quite the right shades - what colour should he paint the rudder pedals ??

He usually can't start his new kit until someone has released a resin cockpit set, or a comprehensive decal sheet.

I have come to realise which of the two gets most pleasure out of his hobby!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast Flankers Website -
Ken Duffey

Nah, you're not going senile, just enjoying and supporting your favourite hobby in a good way. Keep it up!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Pedley

More like going sane. :-)

I find myself getting some of the snap-together models and Corgi diecast stuff. The quality is very high and the heft is great.

My favorites are a SR-71 and B-24G "Dragon", but there are tons.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Yes. Now stop asking! :+) Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

I remember in the early '70s when I first started building, every Sunday afternoon my dad & I went to a small convenience store where he & 3 or 4 other guys stood around & drank beer & talked & I looked over the comics & drank Chocolate Soldiers & did some little odd jobs for the owner. I always left with one of the Hawk 1/48 or 1/72 kits, or a Lindberg 1/72 kit, (or once, their LSI) or an 1/72 IMC kit. I watched 'Wild Kingdom' & 'Disney' & ?? & built them. Also, about then too, Gibson's or Howard Bros. (same store, just re-named) had all of the MPC Profile kits & all of the 1/48 Monogram kits. Those were my weekly Friday kits, as my mom took me there while she went to the A & P grocery store down the block. Between 'Sanford & Son' & 'The Rockford Files' & ?, they got built & painted. Aw,man, those were the days!!

Reply to
famvburg

Are you enjoying it? Sounds like it so I wouldn't worry myself. I wish some of the old shops were still in existence here. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

If you are, I want to come along. Good for you man!

Cfbush2000

About two years ago, I bought an Airfix Tiger Moth on an impulse. I never buy biplanes, but this one got my curiosity up. I got it home and decided to just "slap it together" in a weekend. It took a little longer than a weekend but it was sure fun to do! After that one, I got an Airfix Me-109G, Fokker DR.1, and MiG-15 that I "slapped together". They actually turned out much better than I would have done when I was a kid in the 1960s. This "slap it together" technique really got my interest in old Airfix kits started. I've been on a quest to collect old Airfix kits since then and have managed to amass quite a collection. I didn't have much interest in the tons of Airfix kits on the shelves as a kid because I was into the latest US jets, not WW II aircraft. But now, I find old Airfix(CraftMaster/MPC) kits incredibly nostalgic.

No you're not going senile, just sentimental ;^)

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Well folks, it's nice to know that I'm not going barking mad. Yes, it's true that I'm having a lot of fun 'slapping together' kits that I built in my somewhat spotty youth (although I do paint them now). Some of those old Airfix mould tools are really showing their age (The Sopwith Pup is still crisp though), but who cares.

Spudgun

Reply to
Spudgun

we have told you "yes" that last seven times you've asked us that!

I do slammer historic a/c for my classroom ceiling inbetween AMS ridden armor projects. In a lot of ways the slammers are more satisfying.

keep it up, you may be the only thing keeping that shop open!

Mike Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

God, how I love a "slammer" from time to time. My favorite are the 1/144 aircraft that I can just veg-out and complete with minimal efforts and acceptable craftsmanship over a 2 or 3-day weekend. They provide a relaxing change when the fun of 1/48 WW2 starts to no longer be fun!

Sean

Reply to
Sean

No, senility is suggested by buying (for $5) a Special Hobby Luft-46 kit which is molded only slightly better than an old Airfix kit, and spending close to two months filling, sanding, tricking out the cockpit and tracking down the decals to do up as an Israeli Air Force-48 jet. I should finish this week.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

...he's getting better...