Hobby Shops in Northern VA

I'm going to have a couple of free days in Northern Virginia so I'd like to visit a few hobby shops. HO Trains are the primary area of interest.
Thanks Jim
Hi Jim,
Check out http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/interest.php?brandID=MTRAIN&authCod=oran
You can put in a zip code or city and it will display hobby shops in the area as points on a map. Click on the map points for info about the shops.
Dave
http://www.ogaugewatch.com
That is handy. There are a ton of them in the area. Anyone have any favorites? Jim

Hey Jim,
Please take advantage of the opportunity to visit Granddads Hobby Shop in Springfield Virginia. The are on the southwest corner of the Washington DC "Beltway - 495" I am 56 and remember when ther were many hobby shops around here where one could go and see all kinds of wonderful things and get expert advice regarding the trains, planes, cars, rockets, paint, parts and whatever that filled the shelves of these stores.
Here is a store that has all of that stuff and more. I have noted that there seems to be "retired" type guys working there. They offer to help you and will spend time talking to you about what you are interested in. I recently had a discussion with a fellow modeler regarding paint issues. He had noted that (like me) he had been painting train models for 30 years. I had an enjoyable and informative discussion with him and learned about what has evolved in the past twenty years or so when I had not be into the hobby. Or if you want to be left alone, they will let you be.
Here are some links:
http://northernvirginiahobbymodels.com /
http://www.granddadshobbyshop.com /
Enjoy!
Robert Arlington VA
On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:11:23 -0500, "Jim Pattison"

Robert, Thanks. I'll put it on my list Jim

Jim Pattison wrote:

I just took a look at the web page. Looks like a nice shop. I will be in Fredericksburg this weekend. I know where I will be going. Will have to bring the grandson and show him the finer things in life.
ChrisGW
If you love full price you will love this store. Too expensive
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Well I finally made it to GrandDads this past weekend and was not impressed. There selection was very limited. Did spend some money though and used the 25% off coupon I got off their web site.
I will stick to Davis Hobby Supplies http://www.davishobby.com in Portsmouth, Va and DAVIS ELECTRONICS, INC http://www.davistrains.com/index1.asp in Milford, OH.
I use Portsmouth for my local store (about 35 miles away I am in NE North Carolina) and Davis Electronics for mail order unless I happen to be going to Ohio in which case I always make a detour.
ChrisGW