shops

Will be spending a few days in York first week of october. As I still have a day to spend in my planning, I would like to visit a
modeltrain shop. I do have a britrailpass so I can visit a city within reach of a day trip.
Are there still shops were I could see, feel, run it back and forth and puchase an N- train ? Most seem to be online shops these days....
Thanks, Theo
--
From the heath in the North of Belgium

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sep 26, 10:10 am, snipped-for-privacy@telenet.be (Theo van Riet) wrote:

http://www.collectable-models.co.uk/ in York is a general model shop but do have Railways.
"Puffers" in Pickering and you could take a ride on the NYM Railway.
MBQ
Add pictures here
βœ–

Now I'm confused what do you call: OO Gauge ?
On there website they have OO gauge trains but under N-scale it's all kts...
Thanks, Theo
--
From the heath in the North of Belgium

Add pictures here
βœ–
Theo van Riet wrote:

4mm scale on 16.5 track as opposed to 3.5
Add pictures here
βœ–
Trev <trevbowdenatdsl.pipex.cominvalid> wrote:

But for N-scale you use single N as an abreviation , although in reality it is 1/145(?) on 1/160 track ? so 9mm track ?
Should call that NN or so...?
Theo
--
From the heath in the North of Belgium

Add pictures here
βœ–
Theo van Riet wrote:

O=7mm HO = 3.5 so OO was picked for 4mm lonestar made OOO that became N
Add pictures here
βœ–

Visiting their Autumn Steam Festival Oct 3.... but time for the shop ???
Theo
--
From the heath in the North of Belgium

Add pictures here
βœ–
Theo van Riet wrote:

The shop is right opposite the entrance to Pickering station.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 20:24:29 +0100, Arthur Figgis

When did they move?
When I still lived in Harrow they were opposite Kenton Station. They opened a shop at Grosmont upstairs in the workshop, which they ran in parallel for many years. Eventually they closed the original shop and ran the Grosmont one as the onely one.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Christopher A. Lee wrote:

Years ago.
(well, I am assuming they haven't moved since last Christmas)
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 26 Sep, 10:10, snipped-for-privacy@telenet.be (Theo van Riet) wrote:

Hi Theo
York Model Railway Ltd Tel: 01904 630169 York Station, Station Rd, York, YO24 1AB
Monk Bar Model Shop Tel: 01904 659423 2, Goodramgate, ( By Monk Bar ), York, YO1 7LQ
Modeltrains4u Tel: 0800 0431174 2, Sawyers Crescent, Copmanthorpe, York, YO23 3YA ( delt with this compant several times via web )
CarairoModel Shops Tel: 01904 481504 P.O Box 272, York, YO19 5WT
P & S Hobbies & Models Tel: 01904 611761 4, Walmgate, York, YO1 9TJ
Irregular Miniatures Ltd Tel: 01904 671101 41, Lesley Avenue, York, YO10 4JR
Modelzone Tel: 0870 7455011 Unit 17c, Centre Park, Marston Moor Business Park, Rudgate, Tockwith, York
Enjoy your visit :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Have you actually checked that these are all real shops with retail premises that accept personal callers, or just blindly culled a list from a web site?
MBQ
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@telenet.be (Theo van Riet) wrote in

How about Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh? One way via Newcastle and the other via Settle (or Preston/Manchester). They are about a mile from Waverley station - allow at least an hour and preferably two (you might want to have a look round Edinburgh as well!)

Add pictures here
βœ–

What about Sheffield? Two shops, MG Sharp (strong on non-UK) and Marcway (UK focus) within a few hundred metres of each other and a tram stop - although the district is not on the regular tourist trail as it's like the area around Brussel Noord used to be!
Mike B
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mike B wrote:

Well I did think of Wakefield being to best in the area to have a look in. But Neither Sheffield or Wakefield are that direct from York for a traveller not used to the route's Both would need a change at Leeds
Add pictures here
βœ–
There are Direct services by cross country trains to Sheffield from York, I think they can go via Doncaster or Via Leeds. Simon G Well I did think of Wakefield being to best in the area to have a look in. But Neither Sheffield or Wakefield are that direct from York for a traveller not used to the route's Both would need a change at Leeds
Add pictures here
βœ–
On the 26 Sep 2009, snipped-for-privacy@telenet.be (Theo van Riet) wrote:

North Eastern Models in Darlington - they're in the old C&G shop at 95 Parkgate. They sell N but I can't remember if they have a demonstration layout in that scale. Phone number is 01325 381085.
--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.