how old are you ???

railroad modeler, i am 22.

    I am old enough to remember riding the last run of the Phobe Snow behind steam. To remember water pumps outside, outhouses and radio drama. Movies were black and white and you got 2 of them, a newsreel and cartoons for the price of admission. comics were a dime and $5 would fill the Old's tank. However I also remember polio (my Mother had had it), iron lungs, whooping cough, and other now nearly extinct diseases. and the fear of being different.. All in all it balanced out and was a long time ago
                                cat

thanks :) i yust want to know age of one avarge rail modeler...

    Actually I suspect I am about average or a little younger than the norm. Generally surveys have shown the avreage model railroader to be 50 or older, own their own home and are reasonably affluent (this is not a cheap hobby).
                                cat
Old enough to know better, but I am 58 years old, retired since 1996 (Thanks, Larry). Besides model railroading, I still play blues, rock, and jazz with a group of guys I played with in college, do video production for my daughter's school theater group, ski in the winter and golf in the summer, am on the board of directors of the San Francisco Zoological Society, and am an adviser to several start up technology companies.
Ed
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, cat at snipped-for-privacy@consultant.com wrote on 2/16/05 12:43 PM:

--
Ed Oates
http://homepage.mac.com/edoates
cat wrote:

    But there are FAR cheaper ones than model railroading. I make paper models (now that is cheap, just paper, ink and printer time), collect anime, sculpt figures, and even collect unusual automobiles. All cost less than model railroading. Even RC planes and boats cost less. I would place model railroading somewhere in the upper middle cost of hobbies (remember the space to do it costs money, too and in states like CA, that is a big expense. Moving up to a bedroom larger apartment here would cost over $700 per month more, so that would be part of model railroading as well)

    I have never even heard of a model RR swap meet, let alone gone to one and I have been in the hobby for years, so I guess it isn't an option for a goodly number of modlers wither. Wish I could find such swap meets. If I can get values like I do for car parts at auto meets that might make rai;roading more affordable.
                            cat
Cat, what part of which country do you live in? (This is a serious question, by the way.) If you get Model Railroader or any of the main stream mags, check out the 'schedules'. You will see, by state, listings of Swap meets, train meets, train show & Sales, swaparamas and such. If you live in Michigan, there is a show and sale on March 6th. look at my sig for details. If you live in Lower New York, NJ or CT there is a train meet in Old Greenwich on March 20. These are just two from former clubs that I use to belong to until a move took me to the west side of Michigan. The Kalamazoo club that I joined has their train show in October.
cat wrote:

--
Please change my Email address to snipped-for-privacy@charter.net
I will not have any other Email account.

Well, "swap meet" is used loosely, since the only ones I've seen are people selling new and used stuff, not swapping it.
But to find one, go to www.nmra.org, find the region and division (or whatever they're calling them now), and find the calendar. There should be several "train show", "swap meep", etc. listings.
I'm in a town of a few hundred thousand and we have at least two big meets a year. I just went to one last week and picked up some decent car and structure kits for $5 each. They weren't the really good stuff, but they were kits that would sell for $15-$20 new.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Yes, they're really 'flea' markets, rarely 'swap' meets. Most are run as fund raiser for some model RR club or railway historical group.
In addition to the website, many of the larger 'fleas', and some smaller, are listed every month in Model Railroader, Railroad Model Craftsman, various NMRA monthly publications, and several other magazines as well. Most decent hobby shops have a rack of promo literature, usually with several upcoming 'fleas'.
Sadly, most all have become swamped with 'dealers' operating on a purely commercial basis ... portable hobby shops. These have driven the price for tables up to a point that the guy just wanting to get rid of some 'fleas' often can't make a profit. Thus we get more stuff, but at higher prices, and with LESS selection to choose from. The darned dealers ALL carry pretty much the SAME stuff. You can look at 50 tables, and see the SAME stuff, usually at about the same prices.
Most are just a general mixture of scale and tinplate stuff, with some railroadiana. A few are more restrictive, like either NO or ALL tinplate.
For someone coming in from a rural area with NO hobby shops, it must seem like 'Christmas', but for anyone living where there is one or more decent hobby shop, these dealers have little or nothing to offer.
These 'fleas' are not at all hard to find in more populous regions. there are 15-20 of them every year in the southern Michigan area for example. They range from perhaps 100 tables to well over 500 tables. And, I'm NOT including the purely commercial shows like Greenberg's, etc.
Personally, I avoid the commercial shows sponsored by ANY organization that is NOT affiliated with the hobby. These are just leeches milking money OUT of the hobby. I prefer to recycle my hobby money within the hobby. Many of these shows are also larded up with non RR items, like Hallmark ornaments, beanie-babies, and barbie dolls.
Dan Mitchell ==========

The last GATS I attended was full of computer crap and other non-model railroad junk, and was absolutely swarming with yuppie larva. They even went out of their way to have the show in "BMW-Volvo Land" Totally disgusting experience. Last time for GATS for me.

That does not seem to be the case here with the club shows(Spokane,WA). Although I will say the GATS shows that came to town for a couple of years and then went away were indeed a waste of time.

I am old enough to remember the magnificent B&O passenger trains that came through Silver Spring Maryland, the last stop on the Metropolitan Division, before they terminated at Washington DC Union Station. And remember sitting with my young friends, on a hill near the tracks in the evening watching the outbound parade of the Capitol Limited, National Limited, Columbian, Ambassador, no name "number" trains and commuters (now MARC). And especially the beautiful GP-7/9's (?) "torpedo boats" with their extra air tanks for braking, on top, and their classy "gray top" passenger paint scheme. And the multiple "E" units that were there to pull the long distance trains west over the Alleghenies.
Also remember the unusually large number of baggage and REA cars on those long distance trains.
One may guess what you might find on my layout (:
A special treat... You could buy a ticket for the unimaginably wonderful Capitol Limited, from Silver Spring MD to Washington DC for about 60 cents (I think). We did this two or three times. My friend and I would meet his aunt downtown at Union Station in the morning. And she would take us to her work at the Treasury Department. Treat us to lunch, and always something special, like a trip on the private subway between the Senate office buildings. Finally, she would drive us home in the evening, after a most wonderful day.
Perando may guess my age as I still am so fond of those memories from over 40 years ago.
Robert Arlington VA

Robert replied: I am old enough to remember the magnificent B&O passenger trains that came through Silver Spring Maryland, the last stop on the Metropolitan Division, before they terminated at Washington DC Union Station. ---------------------------------------------------- I go back a bit more. My first ever train trip was on the B&O Cincinnatian. A Streamlined P7d 4-6-2 with five streamlined heavyweights. That was 1948.
http://community-2.webtv.net/billsrrempire/BaltimoreOhio /
It didn't get any better than that. Seeing the big EM1s (2-8-8-4) double heading pulling loaded hoppers at about 5 mph even with two pushers. The Cincinnatian whizzed past at 36 mph!
Smoke everywhere!
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,000 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links

58 years young here. Computer programmer by trade these last 30 years, former radio announcer, former telephone company guy, former ham radio operator, private pilot, and life-long train nut.
I can recall my granddad taking me from Nashville to Chattanooga for a day trip, using his L&N pass, when I was about 9 or 10. I can remember taking a trip from Nashville to Chicago with my mother and baby brother and having a compartment. My last train ride was in 1966 when I took the train from Nashville to Wichita, KS while I was in the USAF. Took the L&N to St. Louis, Missouri Pacific to Kansas City and Santa Fe to Wichita. Santa Fe was the only one that wasn't absolutely filthy and was the only one with a dining car, but it was also the only one that wasn't on time.
Norman Morgan <> http://members.sigecom.net/nmorgan
purred:

I remember riding the bus to Newark for 8 cents and riding on the train to NYC with GG1 pulling. I remember the ferries across the harbor. But, most, I remember standing in a cut while the Erie steam came roaring through. I remember the birth of rock and roll, beatniks, and when the UN was on long island. I remember the war and the fleet coming home. I remember the Staten Island Ferry for a nickel. And the Automat. And I remember when television was on an 8 inch tube. In fact, I remember so many wonderful things I am not sure which were dreams....
Jim Stewart Age 65

    Been in O Scale since 1948, went to HO in about 1960, N Scale in 1965 or so, back to HO in 1984-85, then back to O Scale but narrow gauge (On30) now.     My brother and I used to hang out on the Long Island RR, walked the tracks often, and were able to hear the steam locomotives long before they arrived from behind us.     Don't try that with diesels. :-)     Our best friend was the guy who operated the crossing gates, and between trains, smoked cigars in his little shack. Neighbors brought him coffee when it was very cold.
Cordially, Ken (NY)
email: http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm spammers can send mail to snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov
http://www.flowgo.com/funpages/view.cfm/6402
Older than I want to be. I'm 49 but my waste line is still at 29 or 30 depending on who makes the pants, same as it was when I was 22. Bruce

BruceFavinger wrote: Older than I want to be. I'm 49 but my waste line is still at 29 or 30 depending on who makes the pants, same as it was when I was 22. Bruce ---------------------------------------------------- I'm envious, Bruce. Do you eat food?<g>