Friends of the EBT Fundraising Campaign

To mark this fourth year of our campaign, we will provide one of our
full-color, authorized reproductions of this original John H. Coker
painting to acknowledge each tax-deductible contribution of $50 or
more which we receive before August 31, 2005. The resources we obtain
during this campaign will be used for the following purposes:
* To support our restoration program, which currently incorporates
work at Robertsdale and Rockhill Furnace
*
To perform the repairs and improvements needed to set up our car
restoration shop in the EBT paint shop building in Rockhill Furnace,
where we can work on our historic EBT passenger cars and other equipment
* To support further development of our museum and its collections
*
To retire debt we assumed for the first phase of our rehabilitation
of the old Robertsdale post office and to "bring home" East Broad Top
Railroad passenger cars 18 and 29
For more information about the goals of this campaign, we invite you
to visit our Internet web site. All contributions (please make checks
payable to Friends of the East Broad Top or FEBT) should be mailed to
the following address:
Friends of the East Broad Top
Restoration Fund Treasurer
513 Shady Avenue, No. 12
Pittsburgh PA 15206
John H. Coker was a brakeman, fireman, and engineer on the Cumbres &
Toltec Scenic Railroad and the Durango & Silverton Railroad before
becoming a full-time painter.
His work appears frequently on book jackets and the covers of railroad
and railroad modeling magazines. He has been a member of Friends of the
East Broad Top since 1995. We are also grateful to the East Broad Top
Railroad for the cooperation extended to us for our use of reproductions
of this painting as part of our fund-raising campaign.
Friends of the East Broad Top, Inc., is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit educational
and historical society dedicated to the preservation and restoration of
the East Broad Top Railroad. Friends of the East Broad Top is not
affiliated with the East Broad Top Railroad & Coal Co.
About Friends of the East Broad Top
Friends of the East Broad Top (FEBT) was organized in 1983 by persons
interested in the history, preservation, and restoration of the East
Broad Top Railroad (EBT). FEBT's nonprofit, tax-exempt status was
recognized by the US Internal Revenue Service in 1984 and 1986.
Currently FEBT has approximately 900 members, who reside throughout
the United States and in several foreign countries. In addition over
100 other individuals and organizations receive FEBT mailings on a
reciprocal or complimentary basis.
Among its activities FEBT publishes a magazine devoted to the history
and heritage of the EBT, operates a small museum at the EBT's former
southern operating terminus, maintains an active restoration program,
and engages in a variety of educational efforts designed to increase
public knowledge of and support for the preservation and restoration
of the EBT. FEBT is not affiliated with the East Broad Top Railroad and
Coal Company.
The Friends of the East Broad Top museum complex is located in
Robertsdale, Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania. The museum complex
consists of two historic buildings on the west side of Robertsdale's
Main Street (Pennsylvania Highway 913) at the crossing of the tracks
of the East Broad Top Railroad: the EBT depot and the old post office.
The focus of our museum is the employees of the railroad and their
lives and work. In 2005 the FEBT museum will be open on weekends from
June to Labor Day and on the Columbus Day holiday weekend in October;
the usual hours are 10 am to 5 pm Saturdays and 1 to 5 pm Sundays.
Acknowledgment of Donations
Each donation we receive will be acknowledged in writing by the
treasurer of our restoration fund. In addition, at least once each
calendar year we will publish a list of all contributors to our
fund-raising campaign. The following categories will be used to
recognize the cumulative amount of the donations received from each
contributor during the campaign: brakeman, $100.00 to $199.99;
fireman, $200.00 to $499.99; engineer, $500.00 to $999.99; conductor,
$1,000.00 to $1,999.99; weighmaster, $2,000.00 to $4,999.99;
trainmaster, $5,000.00 to $9,999.99; and general superintendent,
$10,000.00 or more. (Because his primary job was to weigh the hoppers
loaded with coal on the adjacent track scales, the title of the
station master at Robertsdale was "weighmaster." On the EBT the
trainmaster dispatched and supervised all train movements.)
Corporate Matching of Donations
Friends of the East Broad Top qualifies for matching donations
from many employers. We will be happy to provide the necessary
information if your employer has such a corporate program to match
charitable donations made by its employees and retirees. In recent
years, for example, we have received such matching contributions from
American Express, Boeing, BP, Computer Associates, Corning, Honeywell
International, IBM, Microsoft, National Starch and Chemical,
Saint-Gobain, SBC, Thomson-West, Tyco, and Verizon.
Designated Gifts and Bequests
We will gladly discuss with you arrangements for donations or gifts
you would like to dedicate to a particular FEBT project or program.
Our legal advisor can also supply information about including FEBT
in your will.
For More Information
For more information about FEBT, our current fund-raising campaign,
our museum, our restoration and education programs, or membership,
please visit our Internet web site
Membership information
can also be obtained by contacting our membership office by e-mail
at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com or by telephone at (301) 482-1136.
Chris Coleman
FEBT Webmaster
snipped-for-privacy@febt.org