Grassroots Ad Campaign Launched For The Discovery Channel

October 6, 2003 - A grassroots campaign started last week to put a
series of commericals on the Discovery channel starting in November.
Discovery will air a program called "Rocket Challenge". They spent
over $1 million producing the special on rocketry and LDRS held this
summer. Frank Uroda from Public Missiles is promoting the idea of
airing three 15 second commercials during each airing of the program.
The program will air six times. It is estimated that the program will
reach six million homes.
According to Mr. Uroda, "In a nut shell, the 3 hour show "Rocket
Challenge" will air twice on Nov. 3, three times on Nov. 10, and once
on Nov. 17. We cannot pick and choose which shows or hours to run our
ad. We must buy one 15 second spot in each hour of the show and for
every time the show is run. The full package for 18 insertions was
originally $93,000 but after some major negotiation between me and the
accounts manager, I got the rock bottom price of $68,000 (to be paid
in advance)."
The advertisements will direct interested viewers to a web site
tentatively called, "FlyRockets.com." Pat Gordzelik, a newly elected
TRA board member and a group of individuals have joined Mr. Uroda in
trying to pull off this grassroots effort. Mr. Gordzelik was able to
pursuade the NAR and TRA boards to support the effort after extensive
discussions. "I was able to get the support of the Tripoli BoD and
finally NAR to support this. My analogy of a infomercial that "never
asked for the order" would not get the phones to ring, finally swung
em over.", stated Mr. Gordzelik.
He further stated that "We have developed a plan for the ad using an
astronaut to endorse rocketry as a whole. It will be 18 fifteen second
ads at a cost of 68k. We are also working on attaining outside
corporate sponsorship. Frank is developing a raffle website to garner
funds from interested individuals. The whole plan will be formally
introduced probably this weekend as time is short."
Frank Uroda stated, "Yes it is a big risk and a lot of money. But wars
are not won by small, incremental moves. It is the bold strokes that
win the wars. We are in a war now, actually a battle of attrition.
It's a battle we are sure to lose. The regulators have nothing but
time and money on their side. We have neither. We have but one choice,
grow or die. There is still time to do this but now it must be done by
the organizations since all of us manufacturers are on the verge of
bankruptcy."
A web site has been set up to take donations for the ad campaign.
Vendors can also donate prizes for the Mega raffle to be held to
support the campaign. The web site address is :

[ reposted from
]
- iz
Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed
Is there any possibility to get Aerospace Industries to cover maybe 1/3 of the adds and the cost of them, dedicated to TARC and giving them a plug? That would still get our message out about High Power as well as cover other aspects of the hobby and alleviate some of the costing.
Just a thought.
-Boomer
Reply to
Boomer
I think their tarc investment is on the order of $20-40k now. You are asking them to add $33k to that on a single transaction?
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Why not? They wouldn't invest in the TARC program in the first place if they didn't feel it worthy.
Maybe their incentive isn't the almighty buck, but the future of America, that's why they sponsor TARC in the first place.
It makes even more sense now to ask, since the National Space Society has come onboard supporting our cause.
-Boomer
Reply to
Boomer
Commercial or not it is this trend that should be widened. More corporate and large donor support.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
This is factually incorrect.
I told Frank when he and I chatted about this that I needed to have discussions with both the NAR Board and the Treasurer before I could commit to a donation. After I had those discussions, I emailed Frank back with our pledge.
At no time did I have any discussion with Pat.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark B. Bundick mbundick - at - earthlink - dot - net NAR President www - dot - nar - dot - org
"The great enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - by the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic . . . We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK
Reply to
Mark B. Bundick
hopefully the NAR will invite somebody to film the TARC next year and = get ads in the Tv show at the same time.... shockie B)
=3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D
Reply to
shockwaveriderz
That is correct, at no time did I converse with Mark. Mr Embry I am sure has kept Mr Bundick versed on any decisions the TRA BoD made as to supporting the effort.The "quote" Mark refers to was a cut and paste taken from a newsgroup. The assumption made was what was posted. Other than the fact I am a long time NAR member and an L3CC, I have never been privy to discussions with the current NAR BoD. Thats above my pay grade -;). Pat G
Reply to
Potrocs
Planning is NAR's forte.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Pat G:
So how much are NAR and TRA contributing?
Also, what happens if the amount of contributions to the ad campaign (in general) aren't enough?
Reply to
AZ Woody
SNIPS
Well, Kelley is reported to have a consulting arrangement with TRA's board, despite having been sacked by the TRA electorate, and the truck is kind of old..........
Hell, I'm still waiting for a refund from TRA from 1997, but whats a decade here or there, right.....
Reply to
Jim McLaughlin
Woody, both orgs are contributing 1k each. >>
If the amount needed to finance the campaign is not met, all contributions will be refunded.
is collecting all funds, and if the amounts are not raised, refunds will be issued. That is my word, and Frank Uroda's word.
Pat G
Reply to
Potrocs
All rockets and T-Shirts should read:

in HUGE clear font (lower case, of course).
Maybe have folks stand in the window at the Today Show with posters. They still have a window, don't they? I'm at work at that hour (both east and west coast feed)....
Reply to
Fred Shecter
There are guys that sit there al day for the opportunity to wear YOUR shirt and get it on air FOR YOU for about 40 bucks. Younhave to gand him the t-shirt and the $40 cash.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
1992 for me.
Jerry
"The check is attached." - CER My ass.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
At least they returned my check to me, uncashed, 2 months later. of course they also made a dozen copies of it, and aside from sending copies of it to the TRA BOD, they sent it to at least one person who was never even a TRA member. I'm pretty sure sending copies of a check to other parties is a violation of some law...
Bob Kaplow
Violation of privacy, credit.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Is anyone paying attention to the "Mega Raffle"? The prize package is over $22,000 in rocket prizes! If THAT doesn't make you want to buy a ticket, I don't know what will!
-- Drake "Doc" Damerau
NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply
Reply to
Doc
I donated. I consider it a good value. And when they do "phase II" I'll donate again. Those ads are expensive!
Reply to
Jerry Irvine