Hobby Shops in NJ, CT, NY, PA?

I'm going to the New England area next week for a wedding and would like to know if there are any hobby shops in these areas that are worth making the effort to visit?

Wyckoff, NJ New York City, NY Lincoln University, PA Hartford, CT Mystic, CT

or anywhere along the routes between: Philadelphia PA and Hartford, CT Boston, MA and New York City, NY

I'm also interested in air or naval museums in these areas.

I'm already planning on visiting:

New England Air Museum, CT Intrepid Air and Space Museum, NY USS Constitution, MA USS New Jersey, NJ

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

You'll likely be traveling along the Mass Pike and rt 84. If so, the Spare Time Shop is about 10 or 20 minutes away from the corner of the Mass Pike and rt 495 ...

They are loaded floor to ceiling and then some with kits, PE, tools, etc.

Battleship Cove, Fall River MA

Museum & Library in Groton, CT.
484 submarine in Providence, RI
Island Quonset Air Museum, North Kingstown, RI
and more I probably have forgotten.

John

Reply to
John McGrail

If you're going up I91 between New Haven and Hartford, you might try Clayton's.

Also reachable if you're going up the parkway/rt. 15.

Martin,

Check out the USS Olympia and Submarine Becuna just accross the river from the USS New Jersey in Philadelphia

you are into aviation, you could also check out the Delaware Valley Historical Aircraft Association
They have some _very_ unusual aircraft here including a genuine ME-262B-1a, one of four surviving Chance Vought F7U-3 "Cutlass", and even a Convair YF2Y-1 "Seadart" if you can believe that.

In addition to these, they have a pretty _large_ collection of plastic aircraft models that I enjoyed almost as much as the "real" aircraft!

Have fun!

John

The Collector wrote:

Reply to
jlbishop007

You owe it to yourself to try War & Pieces, on South Main St in West Hartford CT. There's also Craftec Hobbies (I think in South Windsor), Finescale Hobbies in Stratford, and HQ Hobbies in Milford. All of these are pretty decent shops.

If you have a chance, you might want to check out Battleship Cove in Fall River Massachusetts, which has the USS Massachusetts and I believe a destroyer, submarine and PT boat on display.

Reply to
Pauli G

Hiway Hobby House on Rt 17 in Ramsey NJ, about 5 miles north of Wyckoff.

806 Rt 17 North, Ramsey, NJ

My favorite, the world's only preserved heavy cruiser, the all gun USS Salem in the Fore River shipyard in Quincy, MA

739 Washington St, Quincy, MA

willshak

Reply to
Dave Calhoun

Dave:

Thanks for the Craftec info. I visited this place a couple of times about 15 years ago when I used to travel to Westover AFB on business. I wasn't sure if it was still in business but now I know and will swing by.

Thanks again,

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

The USS Ling in downtown Hackensack NJ (just off Intertate 80) is, I believe, the only WWII submarine on public display. If railroads are your thing. the Model Railroad Shop at New Market Rd& Vail Avenue in Piscataway (Look for Dunellen on the map, then go south on New Market Rd) is great.

Leedennegar snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

The Collector wrote:

Reply to
pisspigmaster