Sort of OT: Article on the USS Intrepid

S Intrepid, survivor of war, faces new peril By RICHARD PYLE The Associated Press May 24, 2008 Once it was Japanese torpedoes and kamikaze suicide planes. Then, the threat of the wrecking ball. Now, it's money _ or the lack of it _ that could imperil the future of the USS Intrepid. Nineteen months after tugboats pried it from the mud at its Hudson River pier and towed it away for a much-needed renovation, the legendary World War II aircraft carrier needs a sizable infusion of cash to resume its postwar career as a floating military museum. If all goes according to plan, the ship will be brought back in early October and formally reopened to the public on Nov. 11, Veterans Day. That depends on finding the wherewithal to complete the job that was first estimated at $65 million to $70 million and is now expected to cost $110 million overall, said Bill White, president of the USS Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. Of that total, $66 million is for rebuilding its city-owned pier, and the rest for the museum ship itself. Already, in what he admits was a move he never expected would be necessary, White has put the Intrepid's $15 million endowment up as collateral to cover expenses. That money would be repaid, he said. In addition, he asked the federal government to pony up more money for costs of returning the ship, including $9 million to $12 million for dredging a trench for it to rest in. White insists, however, that both monetary goals and the November deadline will be met. 'We are going to get this done, come hell or high water _ hopefully, the latter,' he said in an interview this week. Intrepid, one of the Navy's fabled Essex-class carriers widely credited with winning the Pacific war, was launched in 1943 and fought in every major battle prior to Japan's surrender in 1945. Repeatedly it sustained heavy damage, was patched up and sent back into the fray. Among five WWII carriers serving today as floating museums, none has a combat record to match the ship that survived five kamikaze attacks and lost 270 crew members. Intrepid also served in the Korean and Vietnam wars and was twice a recovery ship for Mercury astronauts before being retired in 1974. A former restaurateur, White has raised millions for the Intrepid museum and its related charitable enterprises serving families of dead and wounded service members. 'We want people to understand that while $110 million is a lot of money, it is difficult to put a price on honoring our nation's heroes,' he said. 'The idea that this ship could survive all that it did in wartime and

60 years later face a new threat to its existence would be unacceptable. To be without USS Intrepid is unimaginable and that is never going to happen.' The Intrepid now sits at a former Navy pier on Staten Island, looking _ for the moment _ not all that much better than when real estate tycoon Zachary Fisher ransomed it from a Philadelphia scrapyard in 1979, had it towed to New York and turned it into one of the city's most popular tourist attractions. While its 900-foot hull has been repaired and repainted Navy gray, the interior is a jumbled work in progress, as workers open up crew quarters and other spaces not previously accessible to the public and create new exhibits on the hangar deck. When the $10 million installation is complete, interactive digital displays will be side by side with real WWII aircraft and a Soviet- built MiG-21 in an open space running the length of the ship. The emphasis, along with tourism, will be on education, in keeping with K-12 science and history programs that the museum already sponsors in city schools, drawing some 50,000 students a year, says Intrepid director Susan Marenoff. The ship's collection of some three dozen aircraft _ some of them rare _ has undergone refurbishment elsewhere, and efforts are under way to trace each one's history and find pilots who flew them to get their stories on record. Once ensconced at its Hudson River pier in 1981, the old warship needed time to gain public acceptance. Except for the annual Fleet Week visitation _ ongoing this week _ the U.S. Navy rarely shows up in New York City and is largely ignored when it does. Over time, both the Intrepid and its city-owned pier deteriorated so badly that in November 2006, the ship was ingloriously dragged out of the mud and towed to New Jersey for the two-year overhaul. At every stage, the work has cost more than had been anticipated. Just pulling the ship out of 17 feet of mud and bringing it back will cost some $19 million, nearly four times the original estimate, White said. That includes dredging the new trench where the ship will rest as the mud again embraces and protects the aging hull. The pier itself had to be replaced with a new 700-foot structure on pilings sunk into the harbor bed, said Noreen Doyle, a vice president of the
Reply to
crw59

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: : : Of that total, $66 million is for : rebuilding its city-owned pier, and the rest for the museum ship : itself. : Okay, obvious question - why isn't the city rebuilding their own pier? Granted the ship caused the damage, but what else is the city doing wit the pier? : : Intrepid, one of the Navy's fabled Essex-class carriers widely : credited with winning the Pacific war, was launched in 1943 and fought : in every major battle prior to Japan's surrender in 1945. : _Every_ major battle? I guess nothing happened in 1942, then. : : Among five WWII carriers serving today as floating museums, none has a : combat record to match the ship that survived five kamikaze attacks : and lost 270 crew members. : Not my fault the USN lacked the foresight to turn CV-7 into a museum ship... : : 'The idea that this ship could survive all that it did in wartime and : 60 years later face a new threat to its existence would be : unacceptable. To be without USS Intrepid is unimaginable and that is : never going to happen.' : Considering that the most decorated WWII ship would up as razor blades not too long after the way, I would not be too sure about making such statements.

Still, I hope they can pull it off.

Did they get any funds out of the Discovery/History channels show on wrestling her out of the muck? And, will they removed the propellors this time? I know the scrap value of them won't make a big dent, unfortunately. : : The Intrepid now sits at a former Navy pier on Staten Island, looking : _ for the moment _ not all that much better than when real estate : tycoon Zachary Fisher ransomed it from a Philadelphia scrapyard in : 1979, had it towed to New York and turned it into one of the city's : most popular tourist attractions. : You would think that, if this were the case, the Shitty of New Yawk would repair their own damned pier, and give the museum some slack.

Perhaps the alien that represents NY could pony up some money. Oh, wait, she is riding her cam-pain down in flamees, never mind... : : The ship's collection of some three dozen aircraft _ some of them rare : _ has undergone refurbishment elsewhere, and efforts are under way to : trace each one's history and find pilots who flew them to get their : stories on record. : That probably added some bucks to the process. It can't be good them them to sit on the deck year-in-year-out in a salt water environment. : : Once ensconced at its Hudson River pier in 1981, the old warship : needed time to gain public acceptance. Except for the annual Fleet : Week visitation _ ongoing this week _ the U.S. Navy rarely shows up in : New York City and is largely ignored when it does. : I saw a very brief article about Fleet Week this year. The point seemed to be that it was one of the smallest Fleet Weeks in recent years. I guess that is what happens when the Comman-dumber in Chief is busy playiner Crusades, instead of golf. But, he is sacrificing, right... : : At every stage, the work has cost more than had been anticipated. Just : pulling the ship out of 17 feet of mud and bringing it back will cost : some $19 million, nearly four times the original estimate, White said. : Hmmm, I am sure this has to be the first time in history that estimates have come in too low.

Still, I am sure the museum felt it had to do "something" with the ship, and repairing the pier was not something that could be put off. : : That includes dredging the new trench where the ship will rest as the : mud again embraces and protects the aging hull. : The pier itself had to be replaced with a new 700-foot structure on : pilings sunk into the harbor bed, said Noreen Doyle, a vice president : of the : And, hopefully, the pier won't pull apart again. I wonder if they have some kind of guarantee? Also, if the museum goes under, the shitty of NY has a nice new pier to use. Sweet!

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

It's about money and who's going to profit from it...

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

it won't be the public....

Reply to
someone

well said my perspicacious friend :-)

About the only thing more snicker-inducing than "we value our customers" is "we value our employees".

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

oops, i'll wipe that persipicacious stuff off.... or that one from lame bands, we love our audience. hello peter murphy! as soon as i finish my ju87, it's tachi-time. man, i love that kit, it's the clear plastic version and kinda rare. tanks again, g. i'm going to try doing lights on it. they have auto type lights on the rear, so some red and yellow would look cool. if i can find some grain of wheat bulbs. i saw the first 2nd season episodes and there were 4 more tachi color schemes i want to do. the yellow school bus colors were really cool! i'm going to try to vac-form 3-4 copies of the kit.

Reply to
someone

Go for it e! I envy you, I'm slaving away without time or space to model at the moment.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

"> Perhaps the alien that represents NY could pony up some money.

She's more interested in real American Culture like cut-out appropriations for a Wood Stock museum upstate to immortalize the Hippies and Pot Heads of her class. War ship - oh no not that liberal lady.

Reply to
Val Kraut