sort of OT: repairing drills

Gents,

Trust you all had a good break and had plenty of time to 'play'!

I did the usual round of DIY and in the process managed to half-kill my drill.

It's an old kango-wolf hammer drill with s two speed gearbox. Now all is well apart from the fact that it doesn't stay in gear anymore. I've had it apart and peared into the gearbox, expecting to have half a spring shoot out at me, but no. There doesn't appear to be anything missing from the gearbox at all, nothing broken and stuck in the grease either. My question is this: How does the sliding gear selector stay where the switch puts it? Does it do it with just the pressure of the grease inside the box or am I missing something?

I've tried looking on the net, but not found anything yet, and I just know someone here will know the answer.

Cheers

Andy G

Reply to
andy G

Andy,

If its like other well known makes its usually a cam holding it in place and yours may have just worn away.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Spend some money and upgrade to an SDS drill . The difference in wall-drilling ability is incredible.

Read uk.d-i-y for brand recommendations (unfortunately a regular and heated topic). Or else just go to Wickes and get a pale grey Kress.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I disagree, I have used many different types of drill in the past, ranging from Bosch GBH 24v battery sds+ drills through to cheap and nasty mains drills. Whereas my kango-wolf drill is about 20 years old its ok (it has got hammer action) and I like using it (nicely balanced) it still doesn't beat my fathers old orange black and decker single speed drill, which must be 30 years old if it is a day. This drill has just glided smoothly into walls that the Bosch sds+ really didn't like.

The sds system is good, but whats wrong with a good jacobs chuck (or even better morse taper, that was on a huge wolf hand held drill at the GCR!)?

Andy G

Reply to
andy G

I disagree, I have used many different types of drill in the past, ranging from Bosch GBH 24v battery sds+ drills through to cheap and nasty mains drills. Whereas my kango-wolf drill is about 20 years old its ok (it has got hammer action) and I like using it (nicely balanced) it still doesn't beat my fathers old orange black and decker single speed drill, which must be 30 years old if it is a day. This drill has just glided smoothly into walls that the Bosch sds+ really didn't like.

The sds system is good, but whats wrong with a good jacobs chuck (or even better morse taper, that was on a huge wolf hand held drill at the GCR!)?

Andy G

Reply to
andy G

I'd suggest there's a huge difference between a 24v battery drill and a mains powered one, my 240v Bosch SDS+ will put a 16mm hole into a reinforced concrete floor in the blink of an eye, it is also supplied with a beefy Jacobs chuck

Reply to
Andy H

The SDS system is very good but its emphasis is on hammer rather than rotary. That means that if you drill a through hole with SDS it pushes out a large lump of masonary at the exit side. If I'm doing this exercise, I use a small drill in the good old B&D then step up to the SDS and drill in from each side. ps, as many of you may have noticed, I've been off this group for a while due to a PC change making it difficult to find. I hope this post works. Appologies if it goes where it shouldn't.

John

Reply to
John

Only if you are still pushing hard as you near the far side. Stop pushing and let the drill do the work and you won't cause a great spall(?) to fly off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice