ISP recommendations? Sort of OT

I've had enough of Onetel, the sevice has gone from ordinary to completely diabolical over the last couple of months, email has been off yet again since yesterday evening yet their 'status phone line' is reporting that all is wonderful and nobody answers the support phone. May be coincidence, or not, but the downhill slide seems to coincide with the takeover by Craphone warehouse and the new name. 'Talk Talk'. Whoever dreamed that up??

Time for a change. Any suggestions, good or bad? I have my phone & broadband service through them as well.

Thanks

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

I've been with BT since 1995, apart from a brief 18 month mis- adventure with 'Screaming Net' in the late 90's, and it's been boringly reliable. The only thing against it for new accounts, as its now actually BT Yahoo! (although it may be worth checking this) is that I believe any new web space that comes with may be only via the Yahoo Geocities, whereas older accounts still have some space without using this route. We're on the =A326.99/month unlimited traffic package and its more than adequate for me + 2 kids using it full time and for some heavy work traffic when I'm at home.

The other ISP I used to hear favourable things about is Virgin Net, although I think this is now part of NTL(?) since last year, so not sure how its faring these days.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I use Eclipse, but you would have to pick the right account, there are

6 to choose from. I have had no problems, but don't use their flaky POP3 mail server. And ADSLmax works properly with them. I use their high priority service (no throttling) with 2GB of data inclusive, but Ii do not download music, films, software, etc. .

For phones I use BT line and rental and route through various alternate suppliers using an Orchid LCR dialler, programmed on line and the configuration downloads to the dialler plugged into you BT socket), for different times of day and week. e.g call1899 for Monday to Friday peaktime, call18185 for mobiles, peaktime 0870 numbers and all international, and Onetel for 240 minutes free mon to fri off peak geographic calls and Tiscali for free geographic weekend calls. But some of those options *maybe* no longer available for new customers of Onetel and Tiscali.

There are issues with CLI with call1899 and call18185 in that they can route 01 and 02 calls via an international carrier.

I used to get regular £0.00 invoices from Onetel but since TalkTalk took them over I have had no £0.00 invoices, (is that a good thing ?) and never had an invoice from Tiscali!

ref:

and
(and there is also a sister company

brightside S9

Hi Tim I was once with onetel and felt the same as you. I changed to Plusnet at =A314.99 asdl which is ok for my needs. I even got 50p off a month for recommending somebody to plusnet. They have various accounts and I think they have been taken over by BT? Alan

Reply to
alan

You got to be careful as most isp's now have a twelve month contract ...

so you agree to there terms and you are written into this contract .. and will loose out big style if you want to move on before the contract ends

good isp's have a 1 month contract .. they are that confident that you will be pleased with their service ...that they offer the one month one .

I'm told that the best isp is now a company called ADSL24

this company also does the one month contract .. they do not throttle the unlimited service either ..

I'm completely unbiased in this as I'm with pipex and written into a twelve month contract ...and being throttled on an 8mb connection that is capable of 6500 mb and only ever get 3100 after 1am.

IM 600 metres from the exchange !!!!

so my advice is to go with ADSL24

all the best...mark

Reply to
mark

from " snipped-for-privacy@jackary.plus.com"

I've been with Zetnet for over 10 years and always been happy with the quality of their support (when needed) and the service in general. Consequenty I generally recommend them to all my customers.

They are not the cheapest (£22.99pm Unlimited) and occasionally one of my customers asks if I can suggest a cheaper option. Having researched the market I came up with PlusNet as a good deal - even though they want to tie you in to stay with them for 5 years (to get the best deal). That was until a customer had a problem which I couldn't resolve (total lack of connection when it had been fully operational for 3 months plus) so I had to contact their support. They promised a return phone call within 8 hours . . . . it never came . . . . I made contact again through their web site on my PC using the customers details and I found a 'fault report' logged with a requst for the customer to try some action to see if that correced the fault. Remember - this customer has no service at all.

I phoned and had to leave a message to which no reply ever came. In further contact via their web-site it became clear that they would only contact the customer via e-mail or the 'interactive fault reporting system' on their site!

I asked which part of "The customer cannot connect to the internet" they didn't understand!

. . . . . I no longer suggest PlusNet . . . . .

JG

Reply to
JG

I ve got plusnet at work and home and not had any problems

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Bishop

You won't until you do.

I had exactly the same problem as "JG" 's customer - no connection, and the only way to get anyone at Plusnet to do anything was via the web.

Even then, I ended up posting on their "public" forum before it was sorted.

Reply to
bigegg

In message , JG writes

[snip]

There is a thread called "Showing the correct sender information" on . OK the OP has got some odd ideas but reading between the lines, he does not seem to have been well served by Plusnet.

Reply to
Mike H

In message , JG writes

[snip]

There is a thread called "Showing the correct sender information" on . OK the OP has got some odd ideas but reading between the lines, he does not seem to have been well served by Plusnet.

Reply to
Mike H

The only recommendation I would make is that keeping an independent email address is better than having one tied to your broadband supplier, so that you can swap suppliers in future without having to change your email address.

FWIW we have BT Broadband at home, has been pretty stable with few service interruptions. Waitrose Broadband at Luton, which has been 80% of what it should have been and we no longer use it after the move, and BT again at the new place.

Our email addresses are with Easynet (home and work) Yahoo and Waitrose, all are paid-for addresses, about £12 a month but are independent of any service supply.

Both the BT Broadband accounts come with email addresses but we don't use them.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I have used Neuf Telecom in France now for six months and am pleased with the value for money. It may be worth seeing what they offer in the UK. I pay 30 Euro/month for 8Mb ADSL , unlimited free telephone calls to fixed lines throughout the world (well most of it), and a mobile phone with 10 min credit per month included.

Russell.

Reply to
russell

In message , Tim Leech writes

You could always try us - Loud-n-Clear Ltd. We may not be best, or cheapest, but far from worst or dearest. You get humans on the phone as well (although some may beg to differ :-)).

01628 583700, ask for me if you like, although I am on site this morning (Tuesday 20/03/07).

All the best

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales