What sort of Mix??

hi there,
i am new to the aircraft modeling scene (Airfix, Tamaya etc) and have
just bought a airbrush kit to try and paint my models by that instead
of by brush, the only problem is what sort of mixture should i use
50/50 paint (Humbrol) and thinners, i havent a clue and was wondering
if anyone could give me some advice
Thanks
Reply to
DirtyBri
50/50 is a good ratio to begin with...but there is really no "right" answer; as there are far too many variables involved. Just start tinkering, and figure out which works best for you, in the environment you are painting in.
Reply to
Greg Heilers
Well, that is a complicated question. First off, 50/50 is a place to start. I have found over the years that matt finish paints take a bit more thinning than gloss finishes. My favorite advice to a beginner is to get a couple of empty plastic soda bottles to practice on. With air brushes, it is a learning curve thing, both paint preparation/thinning and using the brush/application. There is a new Kalmbach paper back book out on airbrush use, saw it at my local hobby shop the other day. Might be a worthwhile investment.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Check out the master's words, the late Ted Holowchuk. He's got a beautiful airbrush primer here:
--- Tontoni
Reply to
Stephen Tontoni
I only airbrush enamels, but do indeed start with a 50/50 mix. More important than the exact thinning ratio, however, is practice and experience. Do NOT start by airbrushing a good model as a first time use of the airbrush. Practice on a piece of scrap plastic or a bad, cheap kit first. I'd recommend at least a half hour of practice- better a full hour- before doing a good kit.
In addition to the thinning ratio, there are the adjustments on the brush, the distance from the model and how fast you move the brush, and the air pressure you use. And it is all interactive. Things like pressure setting and distance from model affect the optimum mixture ratio.
Reply to
Don Stauffer
Different colors will require different thinning ratios. I try to get roughly the consistency of whole milk. After I've put some thinner in the paint, I take a cheap plastic paintbrush and dip the handle end in the mixture. I then touch it to the side of the paint container. I want the mixture to flow quickly off the brush handle and down the side of the container, but I also want it to leave a fairly opaque layer behind. If the mixture flowing down the side looks watery, I'll add some more paint. If I can't get the mixture to flow onto the side, I'll add thinner.
Pip Moss
Reply to
Pip Moss