Airfix Varneeseeeeeeeh

In my Sat at the model shop.

The reg guy told me someone baught some HUmbrol varnish SPRAY. Said a guy fone up who had bough some earlier. he said he looked on the tin and it said do NOT spray over paint, enamel. Guy foned up Humbrol and they said it was tru, and another guy built a large kit, decalled etc and completed by adding a final varnish, caused orange peel, went mad at Humrol and they sent he a airbrush and other things, trouble is the decal sheet on the kit by Revel is OOP. it seems HUmrol again are altering spray ingrediants

Also someone wanted a couple of 72nd Airfix arour kits, ones OOP but inc in the d-day set ) i belive one is the DUKW, took it home, opened it and all 3 were missing, he complained to the shop, who contacted Humbrol, they called the guy a liar but shop said guy was a long term old customer who was trust worthy so they said they would open another kit and forward them.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

So what part of Do NOT spray over Enamel did he not understand...???????

If in doubt always test on a small piece of spare scrap first....you can hardly blame the manufacturer when they give you clear instructions...!!!

Reply to
Mark Stevens

it seems they alterd the sprays ingrediants. I have used humrol gloss spray over enamels before

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

another guy sprayed his figures and ruined them too

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Why market a varnish one can't spray over enamel paints? It's a trifle pointless based on most peoples' usage of enamels (assuming that what would eat enamel would also eat acrylic).

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Is this post available in English?

Reply to
Polo Player

Hmmm... my thoughts exactly. Suggest writing your post BEFORE having your Halloween party!!!

Also wondering what the point is? Is the post just having a bitch at Airfix, who clearly stated that the varnish shouldn't be used over paint? Or is there some useful pearl of wisdom somewhere in this post that I missed?

J.

Reply to
James Venables

have you ever bought a product for years then without making it very clear they alterd it?

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Reminds me of once when Scale Auto Enthusiast changed the cover design. If it hadn't come to me in the mail I would have missed seeing it at the newsstand because of the extreme difference.

Back to the subject at hand: I got what Jules was saying. If the label looked almost exactly the same as before one might be forgiven for missing the warning. And I still see no value in marketing a product that is incompatible with the majority of your other finishing products.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

guess not many people know i take a load of meds and English isnt my strong point, hell i cant often read my own posts.

Have to feel sorry for the guy who orange peeled his plane tho, used Humrol paints for years and i did know about they shipped to a new production country but that was some time ago.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

No, I have to admit that this hasn't happened to me. And I sympathise with the guy who suffered the damage to his pride and joy.

But I ask what's the point of bitching about it on a newsgroup? A constructive warning to other modellers who may fall into the same trap is the way to go. After all, isn't this what a newsgroup is for? News, information, advise, tips, etc?

James Venables

I wasnt bitching about as it hadnt affected me, i was saying what i heard straight from the horses mouth, dont like then dont read it.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

ROTFLOL!

The Keeper (of too much crap!)