Xtracrylics

Hi, I have just used these colors the first time for spraying. (White undersides of a Classic Airframe Hawker Seahawk 1/48)

As recommended on the bottle I thinned the paint with water (I used distilled water) an spraying went quite well. I noticed the paint drying very fast and had to add water two or three times. What I did not notice in time was the airbrush's nozzle getting clogged slowly so fewer and fewer paint got through.

The finished paint job I consider a success but I was not able to clean the airbrush by spraying water through it. I used an old brush to clean the nozzle....not really helpful.. So for now, I disassembled the airbrush, cleaned it as good as possible and placed in in a water-filled jar. I do not now about any other thinner for these paints that will clean dry or half-dry paints on my airbrush now.

Should I another thinner? Cleaning the nozzle every minute with a brush while spraying seems a bit tedious. What is the best solution to clean the airbrush now? I am a bit concerned about my good old Badger. all advice welcome. Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

I had good results with alcohol for cleaning, and water for thinning.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Reply to
Pierre Francois

Hannants sell thinners for these paints. However it smells like ordinary cellulose thinners, with which I have had good results. In fact my Badger

200 is currently in cellulose thinners.
Reply to
Enzo Matrix

i thin with water and clean with water on my aztek/testors airbrush with no problems. in fact i have replaced all my paints with xtracrylics

Reply to
A W

"Enzo Matrix" wrote in news:S7qdncEJxb1184reRVn- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Please explain "cellulose thinners". Thanks.

TF

Reply to
TForward

I believe this is the same as lacquer thinner in America.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams

I don't know what the tail solvent is in Xtracrylic but it's probably either an alcohol like Tamiya and Gunze or a glycol ether like Aeromaster, Polly Scale, Model Master Acryl and Mr. Kit. If the latter use Model Master thinner for acrylics and the tip dry will be lessened greatly. If Tamiya I've found only their thinner works worth crap and I dislike their paints anyway. Gunze I use 45% isopropyl alcohol. For cleaning Createx airbrush cleaner works just fine. Keep a few q-tips handy and if the tip starts to clog close it fully and swab it with a spit wet q-tip.

Reply to
rwsmithjr

The bottle says "For thinning all makes of cellulose paint and cleaning brushes and equipment after use. A special blend of pure solvents that will mix with any make of cellulose lacquer. It does *not* contain xylol, toluene or any other petroleum derivative.Also ideal for cleaning spray guns and brushes that have been used with cellulose lacquers."

The COSHH warning states that it contains Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Methyl Isobutyl Ketone.

The actual brand that I use is called "Rustin's" but a suitable alternative should be available from any Do-It-Yourself shop.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Is it possible, and/or practical, to use an "extender" when airbrushing acrylics? Such liquid extenders, can work wonders when brush painting, by hand.

(Funny....the old spellchecker has a hissy fit with "extenders", but apparently no problem with "extender"...lol...and the same case with "acrylic" vs. "acrylics". The person who wrote the code, must have been raised in a "plural-free society"...)

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I think its a case of the spell checker not liking the use of an adjective as a noun. As such, an adjective doesn't have a plural and the use of acrylics isn't mainstream, I don't think so its just not in there.

Reply to
David Pennington