Hobby shops / train shops in Akron OH area

I may have asked this once before, but I don't remember getting an answer.

Where are the good train shops in the Akron, OH, area? I'm interested in HO scale. My daughter is a sophomore at Kent State and it would be nice to visit a train shop when we are visiting with her. I went to one that was right on the river; it was a nice sized shop, but the owner said he was getting ready to sell it. He appeared to be near retirement age; perhaps that's why the stock was low.

I suppose that there are some in the Cleveland area as well, but that might be a bit too far away, especially if they are on the west side.

For what it's worth... the only trains-only shop that I'm aware of in the Columbus area is The Train Station on Indianola. I was there earlier this summer and it was a really enjoyable visit. They have a pretty large selection of merchandise, a nice sized shop and the staff was friendly & knowledgeable.

So... what do you know about train shops in the Akron area?

dlm

--------------------------- Dan Merkel

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Try playing around with this search:

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I'm looking for someone who has "been there." I learned a long time ago that ads in the Yellow Pages or even in MR don't mean that there is a good train shop on the other end of the trip.

So, let me reword my request... from personal experience, where are the good train shops in the Akron area?

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

I've stopped a couple times at "Nick's Sales and Service" in North Canton, Ohio. It's a lawn mower / small engine business with a fair selection of HO and some N. I was last there four or five years ago, so I can't say what it is like now, but then I'd judge its stock at maybe a third of the Train Station in Columbus (which I was by recently and also enjoyed), but Nick's had a lot of interesting and hard to find parts, and seemed to do a fair business in quality, older used equipment (e.g. Hobbytown of Boston one time I was there and not just blue box Athearn). Nick's was a little hard to find - it's out in the country on a 2-lane road; my recollection is that it was perhaps 8 miles NNE of Canton and about 3 circuitous miles E of the interstate.

I was in Alliance on business maybe 8 years ago, and there as an interesting small shop in an older downtown storefront. I don't recall the name and don't know if it's still there, but if I remember correctly, it had a rather large layout under construction. I seem to recall it was less than a mile W of the Alliance Amtrak station, which was then a fairly busy train watching location. Geezer

Reply to
Geezer