[AIR][SCI-FI] Crismon Skies Airplane Design

I posted an image on ABMS featuring a "retro future" airplane design from a table top game and now video game called Crimson Skies. I'd like
to play around and build a model of it and was wondering if the aircraft folks could provide a few pointers as to what kits/aircraft might work best as source material instead of me scracthbuilding everything?
I'm aiming for 1/72 scale right now because the kits in that range seem to be less expensive, and it's one of my first attempts at such a task and want to maintain a decent sense of budget for it.
Any help is greatly appreciated,
--
Steve Frost
sofrostatmindspringdotcom

Played the computer game- a lot of fun. That pic you posted to a.b.m.s.- except for the large cowling, that fuselage kinda looks like the front of a Dornier 335. (not sure if this is available in 1/72)
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/plastic/148aircraftseries/61074.html
I remember that a lot of CS's designs use gull or inverted-gull style wings...that's going to make kitbashing a lot harder.
Good Luck!
Sat

this is available in

Should you wish to use a Do 335, this is available in 1/72nd from DML (as well as a RoG reboxing). There's also an ancient Frog/Revell kit.
HTH,
Andre

don't forget the pox marked lindberg.

That isn't pox -- its big, honkin' rivets!

they actually look pretty good with the rivets sanded off. their ju88 motors work well transplanted into the 335 and the cockpit is not too hard to scratch. toughest part is the canopy and making it open.

You do know that Crimson Skies is also a board game and you can buy small metal model kits of some of the aircraft? (approx 1/200th scale). Might help with getting dimensions right.
Nick
Nick Pedley wrote:
<snipped>

Sheesh. I hadn't even thought of that, because I had only seen the little cardboard counters used for the game. I think one of the local shops sells them, in sets even if I ever decided to do another one.
Thanks for reminding me!
--
Steve Frost
sofrostatmindspringdotcom

There are two varieties of model now, the original white-metal jobs which were produced as an alternative to the counters for the board game, and the new pre-painted plastic sets for use with the new "clix" game - IIRC these come as squadrons, but also individual aircraft for the "aces" which include a larger-scale miniature of the pilot in question.

Regards,
--
Moramarth

I use the old Testors Air Racers in 1/48th as 1/72nd pieces! After all, the racers were mostly very small planes in real life and a CS-universe fighter version would need to be bigger anyway to mount the weapons. The kits have been reissued every so often so they can be found real cheap. My CS-universe collection (so far):
BumbleBee (Testors GeeBee with the landing gear omitted and fake retractable gear hints) Bart (Pegaso Howard Pete, wing and horizontal tail rearranged into a canard format, fake retractable gear) Jesse (Testors Howard Ike/Mike, canard format, but keeping fixed gear) Redtail (Testors Curtiss Racer, floats replaced with wheels from the GeeBee) Minuteman (Testors Laird Solution, bomb racks added) ExcalibAire (Testors TravelAire Mystery Ship, enclosed cockpit and bombs added) Highboy (Testors Howard "Mr. Mulligan", outfitted as an airliner/courier. Have two kits; one will have gun turrets added) Werewolf (KoPro Avia B-35 fighter) Bayou Blaster (KoPro Aero/Bloch MB 200 bomber) Guard Dog (Airfix Bristol Bulldog biplane, retrofitted with a bigger engine and larger tailplanes) Drake Snake (Supermodel Reggiane Re2001 re-engined with an Allison from a P-40E, landing gear modified)
Look up KoPro's kit selection, if you can. They make a lot of 1930s-era military planes that are obscure enough for CS adaptation and their prices are quite reasonable.
Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}
Stephen FPilot Bierce wrote:
> [...]
Those are all excellent ideas, but I'd like to do some "Crimson Skies: 1949" (using modified and/or re-marked early jets as the basis), "Crimson Skies: 1999" (using modified and/or re-marked modern jets), and "Crimson Skies: 2049". (Using futuristic aircraft.) Any ideas?
--
Edwin

(Remove "DIESPAMDIE!")

I like using 1/144th scale models for kitbashing modern era jets. (Manufacturers include ARII [many kits ex-Otaki or ex-LS], DML, Revell Germany, Airfix and some South Korean companies.) They work better than 1/72nd because they're cheaper and simpler to modify. Some of the stuff I've done include an F-16 twinned (looks kinda like a MiG-29) and a Sukhoi Flanker reduced to a single-tail, single-engine design (like F-16's bigger brother). Also converted an F-18 Hornet into the Python Patrol Conquest from the "G.I. Joe" series (forward swept wings and canards added).
If you want to stick with 1/72, I recommend Airfix, Matchbox, KoPro (especially their early MiGs and Czech trainer jets), Heller (especially the early French jets and SAABs), early Hasegawa (for Sabers, Fujis, T-33s, Grumman jet cats, etc.) and (if you're a real thrill seeker) the reissued Hawk kits from Testors (XF-92 Dart, Gloster Javelin, prototype F-84F, Supermarine Swift, etc.).
Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Check out some of the "Luft '46" comics (excuse me, illustrated novels?) which show a P-47 jet, or you could check out some design prototypes from the major companies like Lockheed's original prototype for the P-80, a P-80 with swept wings and such like that.

This could be similar to an article that I saw in a real old FSM using among others, a Monogram F-16XL and Hasagawa X-29 with then-current Air Force markings and armaments. I think that there was also a Revell F-15 with canards, but don't remember.

No clue.
Steve wrote:

Many thanks to all for the replies and suggestions. I have a list of "goodies" to grab and nab, e.g. the game miniatures, the list contributed by Stephen "FPilot" Bierce, and the DML kit suggestion and will start doing some sketching and planning this week. I'll see where my modest skills go from there.
Thanks again,