QUOTING ON PROJECT - AIRPLANE COPY OF OLD DESIGN CONCERNS LEGALALITY

we are quoting on copying of a older design of a 2 seater airplane. Basically re creating it all in SW its a big project and wondering the groups idea on how to protect us on the legality issues of doing the work and removing as much liability as possible

I can get write up a liablity contract of some sort but any other things people have ran into?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated

Is this job really worth it is what I ask myself

Ryan Hay SDSI

Reply to
Ryan Hay - SDSI

I did some "CAD redraw" work for a company once, and all they felt was needed was a statement as such on each sheet: "Note - this is a CAD REDRAW of dwg no. XXX-XXXXX only"....

or are you re-designing and/or modifying during your "copy"?

Reply to
Steve Rauenbuehler

Is this airplane going to be certified through the FAA?? Any aircraft designs certified by the ruling aircraft certification authority of the country you are doing the certification in are automatically covered by the liability of that certification body, not you.

Contact me if you need any more advice, we are delegated by Transport Canada (Canadian FAA) on aircraft engineering.

Phil Evans

Reply to
Phil Evans

no this will be sold as a design package or a kit plane later down the road I was told no to FAA.

but anything involved with flying I am sure will carry liablity possiblites

Reply to
Ryan Hay - SDSI

Sort of OT but .. When should "Redrawn W/O change" be used and what does in mean & entail in *your* field/firm or to your customer(s)?

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Your next best bet is to employ the services of a Professional Engineer in the aerospace field, in the US this might be FAA approved Designated Engineering Representatives (DERs), he/she will stamp off your work under their liability insurance. WARNING: Not Cheap.

possiblites

Reply to
Phil Evans

Legal advice on a CAD forum? But it does have some general interest.

I would check with a lawyer and an > we are quoting on copying of a older design of a 2 seater airplane.

Reply to
kellnerp

THAT IS WHY I POSTED I WANTED TO SEE WHAT OTHERS THOUGHT AND IF THE HAVE RAN INTO THIS BEFORE

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan Hay - SDSI