Identity of old airplane

I'm looking for plans or a kit to build a model of the plane I first flew in. Back in the late '40's I took my first airplane ride in a fabric covered tail dragger. It was two place, tandem seating, hand propped, no electrical, stick and rudder and was a blast to fly even at 65 mph. What I remember most was the wings (no flaps of course), but where they fastened to the fuselage they were prominently "notched". That is the trailing edge did not go all the way to the fuselage, but stopped about 1 ft from the fuse and continued at about a 45 degree angle forward to where they joined the fuselage.

The wing was very similar to the Luscombe Silvaire, but this was not all aluminum and not side by side seating.

The plane was definitely not new, could have been anywhere from five to fifteen years old at the time. Anybody have an idea what that plane would have been?

Ron Kelley

Reply to
OP

Ron

Posibly an Interstate Cadet??

Brian Allen

Reply to
Brian W. Allen

I did a google search on the Interstate Cadet and it is similar to the plane I flew in except the Cadet doesn't appear to have the "notched" trailing edge where the wing joins the fuselage. Thanks for the reply, I hadn't thought of the Interstate Cadet before.

Ron Kelley

Reply to
OP

The very early pre-Piper Taylor E2 and H2 Cub trailing edge did not attatch to the fuselage, but wasn't "notched," as you call it. Still, a possibility.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

Another possibility might be the Rearwin Skyranger

Brian Allen

Reply to
Brian W. Allen

Well, the plane I flew, teh wing was definitely attached to the fuselage. The best way I could describe it would be a two placem, tandem seat, tube and fabric Luscombe Silvaire.... except it wasn't a Luscombe. Thanks for the info though. The searched have been interesting.

Ron Kelley

Reply to
OP

Thanks, Brian, but as I told Geoff, the plane I'm looking for is more like a tandem, two place fabric Luscombe Silvaire.

Ron Kelley

Reply to
OP

What about an Auster, or a Max Holste 152?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Auster was British Taylorcraft. If his flight was in the US, not likely a Brit ship. If in GB, could be.

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

They got around tho. After the war. Other ex military reconnassiance planes spring to mind too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just had another thought. Luscombe built a number of tandem seat aircraft using the Silvaire wings and other parts. They were called the T8F and were designed for agricultural sprayers and as a possible military liason design.

Mayhaps this is the aircraft you are thinking about.

Brian Allen

Reply to
Brian W. Allen

how much horsepower. sounds less than the usual piper power.

Reply to
jim breeyear

Did the cylinders extend beyond the side of the fuselage?

Bruce Bretschneider

Reply to
Bruce Bretschneider

I don't really know. I was about 13 at the time and was more interested in the ride than finding out about the airplane. I would say, though, that it was less than that of a Piper Cub. About the only thing I remember about the engine was that it was cowled and a flat opposed configuration.

Ron Kelley

Reply to
OP

Thanks.... I did a google search and found some pictures. It's close, but the fuselage of the T8F is all metal. The plane I'm after was definitely all fabric, except for the cowl of course.

Ron Kelley

Reply to
OP

The pictures I found of the Auster all showed an inverted four cylinder power plant. The plane I'm looking for had a flat opposed four cylinder (heck it might have been two cylinders... it was cowled and I didn't look in the cowl, or at least don't remember).

The only Max Holste 152 pictures I found had a radial engine and twin tail so that wouldn't apply here either. But thanks for the help and ideas.

All the people in this group have been really helpful and I appreciate that.

Ron Kelley

Reply to
OP

That pretty much marks it as a US design - most UK designs used inline 4's.

And a european aircraft would be unlikely in the US.

Mmm. There is another Max Holste from which that one was developed. I think there is only one picture on the net tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

how about a cougar?

The Natural Philos>