Dual rate switches etc

I'm in the process of programming my first computer radio. There are a ton of options and I'm curious about how they are commonly set up.

Using dual rates, is the high rate usually up and the low rate down on the switch?

Also, is it common to use the dual rates for all 3 surfaces, or just aileron and elevator?

Should I use some expo on both the high and the low rates, or fly it and see how it handles first?

Using flaperons, should I make them extend or retract when I turn the knob clockwise?

As usual, I will accept all mixtures of fact and opinion. Thanks for your help...

Steve

Reply to
Steve

This is how I have mine set up - away from is high, towards me is low. I USUALLY set mine @100% for high, and depending on the type of plane AND my experience flying this type of plane, between 60% and 75% for low rate.

Some people like D/R on all the control surfaces. I use the dual rates just on the elevator and ailerons. I like as much rudder as I can get.

Expo is a matter of choice. I prefer not to use any expo at all. My reasoning is:

  1. I am not flying competition where you need to be VERY precise.
  2. By not using expo you should be able to fly anyone's plane.
  3. Without expo YOU become more experienced on stick movement.

MOST people have flaperons set up so that when you turn the knob in a clockwise direction (or activate the switch ) the flaperons go down. With the switch type, there are USUALLY 3 positions - Off, 1 and 2. I suggest setting 1 to about 10% and 2 to about 20% deflection initially.

A word of caution here. If your ailerons are not full length strip type be VERY CAREFUL about using flaperons. They can stall your wing if they are too far out. Look at full size planes. The flaps are always inboard, near the fuselage.

When you initially try your flaperons, be a MINIMUM of 3 mistakes high.

Personally, If you feel your plane NEEDS flaps or "flaperons", install flaps separately from your ailerons. You will have much better control over the plane with separate flaps and ailerons.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

It's a matter of personal preference. Just keep it the same once you decide. Personally, I like mine with high rate down and low rate up.

Unless you have a plane that's really squirrely on the ground, don't mess with rudder dual rate. In fact, you don't have to use any of the bells and whistles. Just learn how to fly your plane with your new radio and add dual rates, expo, etc. one at a time.

See above.

Be careful of flaperons. Overzealous use of flaperons can cause tip stalling. Your plane will suddenly flip over when you're too low and slow to recover. I like clockwise = down.

Reply to
Morris Lee

What I would prefer to do is "everything forward for takeoff". This is the general pattern used in full scale aircraft. Unfortunately, transmitters sometimes don't lend themselves to which direction that really is.

Generally forward motion or motion to the right = more of whatever clockwise motion = more of whatever

except flaps flap lever back or down = more flaps down

On full size planes the gear switch is usually mounted vertically. Up is gear up, down is gear down. For models I prefer gear down to be away from me, which also complies with rule number 1.

Dennis

Reply to
glide303

Sounds good to me...

I'm starting to sour on the whole flaperon idea alerady... I bought the plane used and it came with dual servos for the ailerons so I figured I'd just program them in from the start. I forsee myself looking for an on-scene consultation on this with a cub expert....

Hadn't considered the effect on the tail wheel / steering, thanks for pointing that out...

Reply to
Steve

Sorry to bust your bubble, but t'ain't so, McGee. (tongue in cheek only)

Look at a picture of an FA-18 taking off from the carrier deck. Full span flaperons that are definitely lowered quite a bit.

I fly fun-fly type models (old style with a fuselage). All of my models had full span flaperons (doubled the normal aileron size) out to the tips. I have never had a problem with snap rolling (stalling) at high alphas.

This is an old wives tale, or the models they tried it on were overweight hausfraus.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed, not picking here, just pointing out. What I said about flaperons was:

"MOST people have flaperons set up so that when you turn the knob in a clockwise direction (or activate the switch ) the flaperons go down. With the switch type, there are USUALLY 3 positions - Off, 1 and 2. I suggest setting 1 to about 10% and 2 to about 20% deflection initially.

A word of caution here. If your ailerons are not full length strip type be VERY CAREFUL about using flaperons. They can stall your wing if they are too far out. Look at full size planes. The flaps are always inboard, near the fuselage.

When you initially try your flaperons, be a MINIMUM of 3 mistakes high."

I know AKA "the hard way" what can happen if your ailerons are not full length (strip type) and out near the wing tips and you have them set up as flaperons. I tried this with my Hawker Tempest - sure glad I was 3 mistakes high when I activated them. Used about 2 1/2 of the mistakes getting control back. {:-)

Reply to
Ted Campanelli