How to polish die-cast metal parts???

Hi there,

I used the search function, but couldn't find info I wanted, so.... My question is: how does one go about polishing die-cast metal parts to a mirror-like sheen? The piece of metal I'm dealing with is rather small-- less than 2 inches, in a tubular shape. I would like to ultimately coat it with a clear yellow coat, to obtain a shiny gold finish. So what tools/compounds should I use? I should mention, the piece is already fairly shiny, but there are surface imperfections (like cast lines, some orange peel pattern in places) that I would like to get rid of as well.

A detailed response would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is using isopropanol to strip off paint from die-cast metal a good idea? Does it hurt the metal itself somehow?

Thanks,

c888

Reply to
c888

Die Cast is exactly that ........... it is cast (melted and poured) metal, usually zinc or some kind of cheap "pot metal" mix. You can't really get a high sheen on that stuff. If you look at it under a microscope its pretty porous.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

I use a felt wheel attachment for my variable speed dremel. You must use a slow speed or it will get VERY hot. I have used regular buffing compound before, but lately have been using Mothers metal polish.

Most casting metals will oxidize pretty rapidly, so coat it with clear after buffing.

On very small parts I do it by hand, an old T-shirt and metal polish.

Alcohol will not hurt the metal but will not remove paint very well. Either turpentine or lacquer thinner will work better. Neither will damage any of the casting metals. Organic solvents in general do not hurt metal- only acid or strong base solvents hurt it.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

Hi Count DeMoney,

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of... but I will have to give it a try. If this approach doesn't work, my next thought is to use Alsa Corp's Killer Chrome product.

Cheers,

c888

Reply to
c888 via ModelGeeks.com