Buying in USA (from UK)

Anyone have any experience of this? I'm thinking of an airbrush. Is it possible to work out total costs before ordering anything? How can I find out what Taxes/custom dues would have to be paid?

Regards and thanks in advance

Reply to
P & H Macguire

Yes, loads.

Not easily.

It depends on how it's sent to you? If the total value of the goods exceeds £18 you become liable for 17.5% VAT in the UK. If the goods are sent by ordinary post you will have to collect them in person from your nearest sorting office while paying the VAT plus a Post Office collection fee of at least £8 (depending on the value of the goods).

If they are sent by courier you become liable for any fees incurred by the courier plus VAT on both the goods and any charges they levy. This is not included in the courier charge originally quoted to you by the retailer.

As a rough guide the total cost to you will be about the same in pounds as the original price of the goods in dollars, ie: a $100 item will cost you about £100 to import.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Why not purchase one in the UK, by the time you pay the shipping and VAT you'll probably come out the same. Check with Robin at Cammett LTD.

bluumule

It's also possible to incur customer duty on some items, which iincidentally s added before the VAT and subject to VAT, ie you pay extra VAT on the duty you are charged!

The HM customs website will give some indication if airbrushes are subject to duty and the level of VAT.

However, please be aware that the value of the item being sent can be estimated by the custom's officer, some vendors put on a low value which the

customers are free to ignore. If they can prove you complied in such a deception you can be arreated and charged with an offence (I suspect criminal deception).

I would also ask you to consider that any problems with the airbrush could prove difficult to resolve, plus would the US guarantee be valid for UK customers?

MH

Reply to
max

Import Duty on airbrushes is 6%, VAT is 17.5%, the post office clearance fee is £8 (or was before Christmas)

By the way Hong Kong might be cheaper than the US for airbrushes.

MH

Reply to
max

OK, OK! It all sounds (as I suspected) like too much hassle.

Thanks anyway

Pat Macguire

Reply to
P & H Macguire

You might want to take a look at

They're in the EC, so no extra fees beyond S&H.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Sounds like you've already decided not to bother.

But my recommendation would be to by from the Far East rather than the US and to use a postal service called EMS.

My reasons are

(i) In my experience, Far Eastern sellers are more obliging when it comes to declaring a lower value on the parcel.

(ii) They are generally cheaper in the first place

(iii) EMS is reasonably quick, can be insured but mostly importantly is handled as a mail service rather than a courier. The mail arrives at customs in huge amounts and it is upto the customs offices to decided what to check. Basically there is tons of stuff, too much for them to check so very little gets caught. By comparision, US companies tend to use couriers like UPS, DHL, Fed-Ex. With these the carrier seems more inclined to offer up parcels to the customs (wonder whether it has anything to do with the ridiculous admin fees they pass on to the recipient) so a lot more stuff gets caught.

I've bought quite a few things from HK and only one has ever got caught.

However, I aways recommend factoring in the tax and then decide whether it's still a bargain. If it is then go ahead and if you don't get caught then super-bargain. If it's close to UK prices then buy locally.

Also important to consider what happens if your purchase turns up faulty. The sellers are pretty good but you have the hassle and cost of returning the item.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

I think the OP is asking for the tools to validate or disprove that very opinion.

WmB

Reply to
WmB