LF Comments- Craftex lathes/ Busy Bee Tools

Having run into delays in my plans to build a Gingery lathe & with other projects in the works that I could use a lathe on I'm considering wimping out & buying one :(.

I'm looking at the Craftex unit sold by Busy Bee tools

mainly cause they got a local outlet. Specifically I'm thinking about their 9x19 (CT039) or maybe the 10x18 (B2227L).

I was also looking at thier lathe mill combo ( B2229 ) a year or so ago. I"m limited for space so this seems like a good idea but I'm concerned that the milling head might not be sturdy enough to do reasonably useful work (fill in your own definition of "reasonable"), it seems like a long way to the table, not to mention the height of the lathe spindle relative to the bed width.

Now obviously these arn't top quality machines but looking at the lathes today in person they didn't strike me as being total junk, so, anyone here have any experience good/bad with these units?

All replies appreaciated :).

Thanks,

Howard.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

machineman

I would stay away from that combo machine-it has a lot of problems and the design is way too complicated- cross slide has power feed, but only in 1 direction- you have to reverse the motor to bring it back- lots of flex in the mill head- Smithy sold that same unit under the name Midas 17-20 and dropped it from their line after a short time.

Reply to
EdFielder

For those of you who kindly gave your advice to my questions a few months back I've finally got my lathe installed & set up.

For those interested details are here-

Thanks again,

Howard.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

I like your air compressor and the comment "All in all I figure I didn't spend more than 150% of the cost of a new commercial unit. For me that's doing pretty good". This remark resembles me, especially when the cost of time is considered. The compressor looks very nice.

The lathe looks new and shiny!

Ignoramus29245

Marvelous splash guard. Very nicely implimented. And I like your writing style

Good Job.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I liked the comment about not being a welder, but rather being a guy with a welder. That's me. :)

Reply to
Dave Lyon

And me, as well, although I prefer to use the term "weldor" for people and "welder" for machines.

Ignoramus13880