lathe handwheel rust removal

Rescued my lathe after 2 years inside an unheated shop (northwest USA). Would like to clean the rust off of the handwheels. I would like to spin the handwheels in the lathe and use steel wool to polish. BUT, how do I remove the "grip" from the handwheels. Are they press fit? BTW, the "grips" are the kind that spin while you turn the wheel.

Thanks for all suggestions,

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Suggest you try Knorrostol, then Blue Magic. If and only if those don't work, then try mechanically polishing.

Don't know how to remove your handles - if there's no obvious threading, then they may be pressed in, or they may be brazed in.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

You might consider a buffing wheel in a Dremel if the rust is not too deep Ken Cutt

Reply to
Ken Cutt

Ivan

Get a gallon of white vinegar and soak the handwheels in the vinegar. Check every 24 hours. When all the rust is gone, rinse and polish or whatever. Keep out of the sun. We have done this many times. Use the vinegar straight. Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ