GUNNER

Just barely...posting from my laptop..the network has been taken over by a very nasty virus.

Whatcha need?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

LINEAR STUFF!!!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

sorry about your virus.........hope you get it fixed........I use AVG...............I sent you some specks here to the NG.........on the drill spindle...that i am looking for....can we use our e-mail address es seem like it would be easier.................Larry

Reply to
Larry

Im picking all that stuff up this Friday. Ill email you with a listing. You need linear stuff..I need some more cup brushes

Gunner, finally posting from his place in So. Cal after having serious truck trouble Tue/Wed

(ever poke at a freeze plug with a screw driver and have it go through?)

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

I havent found your specs. feel free to email them to gunner at lightspeed dot net

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

As in, into the block? Nope, but I was told by a diesel mechanic in town who is respected, that it's just fine if that happens. I didn't particularly agree with his logic, but he claimed that it was commonly done.

I can't imagine that getting that out was any more fun than, say, removing something from the plenum side of a furnace's heat exchanger. Ahem.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Tin foil freeze plug ? No but I had a engine block blow out (front of it) at 60 mph ) Lots of steam! Wish the freeze plugs blew out first! The truck was junked.

Bad news - but at least you found it!

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Sigh..that and the leaking timeing chain cover, and the water pump, and radiator cap.

Which required jerking every thing off or out and doing the repairs.

Which is what I was doing Mon-Wed. I didnt get your stuff palletized, but I will this coming week.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

Reply to
Gunner

(So, what'd you find linearly, Mr. G?)

(Ayup, but only on purpose, with the customer's consent.)

Suckage!

I've seen people replace ONE freeze plug and get back on the road to complete their 3,000 mile trip. Go figure! The little plugs behind the flex plate/flywheel and heads are the fun ones to do with the engine in the vehicle. Two advantages to the transverse mounted engines in the newer cars are easier plug replacement and much smaller engines with more room to work. I retired from wrenching in the mid

80s, so I didn't see many of those before I left the greasy field. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ----

Web Design for YOUR Business!

Larry Jaques

That's how they work. Pry it out and poke in a new one, no big deal.

Anti-freeze is yucky and hard to wash off in a hard-water shower, but Dawn dishwashing detergent gets it done. This time of year, a dunk in the lake (soft water) with a bit of Ivory soap ( it floats) gets it done too and is a lot more fun. Having fun is job 1, a swim in the lake is fun. Lake water was about 77F yesterday, about perfect.

Eat yer hawrt out, Seal tadpole!

Reply to
Don Foreman

The "it" in this context was the plug itself going into the block, I think.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

So they are supposed to be made of tin foil with pin hole leaks? Pressure relief valves of some kind for that steam that leakes out? I guess I screwed up by jerking the engine then. What sort of tool do you use to get those lace freeze plugs in and out when they are up against the firewall?

Last time I saw a lake up close was 5 years ago.

Gunner

If you are going to use that phrase then you should use the full phrase of "Fuck Off and Die and Rot In A Ditch and Get Eaten By Maggots and Pissed On and Shit On By a Dysenteric Elephant (but not necessarily in that order)."

Crash Street Kidd

Reply to
Gunner

The "through" was the screw driver punching a hole in the freeze plug. Pretty gentle poke too.

Gunner

If you are going to use that phrase then you should use the full phrase of "Fuck Off and Die and Rot In A Ditch and Get Eaten By Maggots and Pissed On and Shit On By a Dysenteric Elephant (but not necessarily in that order)."

Crash Street Kidd

Reply to
Gunner

Um. OK, I wasn't confused, but now I am. YOu didn't _want_ to poke a hole in the plug? If not, why did you poke it?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Engine hoist! Find a more accessible frostplug for installing a frostplug heater!

They must be making them chintzier now. Last one I pulled took a pretty good whack to punch a screwdriver thru it -- but that was some years ago. Last car I bought (10 years ago) came with a frostplug heater already installed so I didn't have to mess with it.

Reply to
Don Foreman

To see if that little trail of coolant was from the plug or simply splatter from someplace else.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty." Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Reply to
Gunner

Gotcha. For what it's worth, the freeze plugs I have on hand all look like the're made of 16ga sheet metal. I didn't know they _could_ leak.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Besides, it's better to a poke a hole in a freeze plug at home than to have it explode while you're on your way down the freeway, 100 miles from civilization. (Though that latter point may be an oxymoron for you there in the HelL.A. area.) ;)

Hey, what happened to your pet? I thought you said they were all spayed but now you're advertising litters.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, the good Dorman replacement plugs look to be stamped out of heavy gauge brass, but I can see where OEM car factories might try to cheap out and use mild steel plugs that are plated. Which would make rusting through possible. Hey, they only have to hold tight for 5 years or so till the warranty is up.

You have to punch a hole in the plugs so you can pry them out. There isn't a handle or pull tab on the stupid things...

Though I can't see where removing and changing the plug 'finds' the coolant leak, it only proves a negative.

To really find a leak without wasting a bunch of time and money on snipe hunting, you go run the car engine compartment through a coin-op car wash or fire up a Hotsy cleaner - once the engine block is nice and clean, the source of any future leakage will be obvious.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman