Finally laid down a decent wash.

Well I think I have found the answer to my quest of doing washes. I tried and tried to use acrylics for the wash and just got terrible results, time after time. I then tried using some oil paints with Turpenoid as a thinner. What a difference! I laid down a beautiful wash the first time I tried with the oil paints. This is over an acrylic base coat. FOr those of you having trouble with this aspect of painting, give oils a try.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

results....I then tried using some oil paints with Turpenoid as a thinner. What a difference!....This is over an acrylic base coat.>>

Are you referring to artist's oil paints in a tube, or.....? I've looked at those, and they seem prohibitively expensive for the use they would get. I've used acrylic washes over acrylics and a Future clearcoat, and maybe I've just gotten lucky the few times I've done it, but the results were acceptable. FWIW, I use windshield solvent as thinner as opposed to water. But, as everyone should, do what works best for you.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m28.aol.com, Disco -- FlyNavy at snipped-for-privacy@aol.comDOH wrote on 2/18/04 10:14 AM:

I use artist's oil paints in a tube. They last for years, literally. I apply the wash over Future and I thin it with lighter fluid (I suppose rubber cement thinner would work as well--they are both about the same SG grade naptha). It won't harm the Future.

Cost of the paint is negligible since they last so long. A couple of tubes of Burnt Umber or Payne's Gray won't cost much at all and should be all an average modeler would need.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

What about us less-than-average modellers - what do we need? :)

RobG

Milton Bell wrote of Burnt Umber or Payne's Gray won't cost much at all and should be all an

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Practice!

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

No.... that's how you get to Carnegie Hall......

Rich