Sludge Wash with Enamels?

Has anybody tried this with (Humbrol) enamels or does it only work with acrylics? I tried it on a Spitfire interior and the residue seemed more difficult to remove than Paul's FSM article would seem to indicate.

Maybe the surface wasn't glossy enough? (Humbrol gloss cote) ..also, my mixture seemed very thin versus 'thick/sludgy'. I guess I could spring for some acryilics, but I was just wondering.

Thanks!

Reply to
jherrick

FWIW Paul's process only works with acrylics. Enamels have a much higher adhesion and it doesn't work the same.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Thanks Bill!

That explains why me little test are didn't work out.... =8-)

Cheers

Reply to
jherrick

I wouldn't think it would work well with enamels as they genearlly require a thinner to remove.

I used the sludge wash with acrylics until I had some problems with it repelling some finish materials or causing them to bead

I switched to using tempra based water paints to do washes and they seem to work pretty well, using the same methodology

Reply to
Jeff Barringer

I've used the sludge wash only over dissimilar materials, Generally over Future.

MB

Reply to
Milton Bell

Does anyone have a sludge wash recipe they's like to share? I passed along that issue of Finescale Modeler without clipping the article.

Thanks, Dave Ambrose

Reply to
Dave Ambrose

The article is still on the FSM website in PDF format.....from the article

1 part acrylic 5 parts water 3 parts dish soap

apply to gloss finish!

Reply to
jherrick