acrylics and figure painting

From wikipedia's pages about oil paints and acrylic paints, it mentions that some artists don't like acrylics because it looks plastic ("not surprising because it is plastic"). That's no problem at all for vehicle modelers because all vehicles are manmade objects. But can it be an issue for figure modelers, who in fact often use oils?

Seb

Reply to
Seb

I find/found that the best benefit from oils is the slower drying time and the ability that gives you for blending colours.

Though you can inhibit the drying time of acrylics with additives.

Mostly it is personal preference which paint you prefer.

Cheers, Reddog

Reply to
Reddogfive

I've never heard of acrylics "looking plastic". A better word might be, look "new". I always thought that the big disadvantage to acrylics was quick drying time (with advantages being clean up,smell, etc.) . With slower drying oils you can fix mistakes much easier and combine paints much more effectively for subtle blending shading with a brush. To me that might be a major factor in figure painting, also in vehicle modeling where differing shades of the same paint on weathered or damaged objects is taken into account. To me, oil based paints give more flexibility. However there are folks out there that can do wonders with acrylics.

However, slower drying times can also work against you, especially if you lack patience.

As for texture, I would think that acrylics and oils would be about the same, only that you can stand back with oils and tweak the subject a lot more I guess. I would think that dry brushing would be easier with oils than acrylics, again due to the quicker drying time of the acrylic.

Perhaps air-brushers prefer acrylics more. Of course what painting I have done has always been with a brush except for base coats or large areas of light color.

I just enjoy working with a brush and seeing how well I can do something with my hands. Oil based paints just seem more fun for that, more "art" than "mass production".

Seb wrote:

Reply to
old hoodoo

old hoodoo wrote: [snip]

I'm most interested to hear of your experiences. First problem with brushing large-ish areas with oil (eg. aircraft, armor panels): it leaves deep, embarassing brushmarks? Or is it ok if you thin it?

Seb

Reply to
Seb

Paint too thick.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

Actually, dry-brushing on figures is generally frowned upon. It generally looks like what it is: "dry-brushing", as opposed to simulating the scaled-down effect of light playing upon the subject. Dry-brushing on figures generally smacks of "newbie-ism", and really should be avoided.

That being said...oils are *not* "too thick" for dry-brushing on armor and/or aircraft. When used properly, they are the perfect medium. Do *not* use the aforementioned "brushing large-ish areas". Do a "controlled" dry-brushing, much as when you do a "controlled" wash.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Shhh... Don't tell this to my son and nephew who game with the Lord of the Rings figures from Games Workshop. I taught them to paint their figures the base color, apply a dark wash and then drybrush the highlights. The figures really seem designed for this type of technique and look good in rather short order. I can see why it won't work in larger scales but these figures (25mm?) benefit from this technique by its speed and ease. The Citadel acrylic paints lend themselves well to this as well.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

Like any technique, subtelty is the key. You can wash and drybrush figures every time and if you're subtle enough know one will ever know. The rick is figuring out where and what what colors to use.

Reply to
Ron