Trees

The previous thread on airbrushing reminded me of when I made trees for a previous layout using the old fibre rawl plugs rather than the new plastic ones. Does anyone know if these can still be obtained?

John

Reply to
John Firth

"New plastic ones"?

Where have you been living for the past half century? :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

'New' is relative to what you are comparing it with : - )) Compared with the old fibre ones they are new.

Well I do live in Mid Wales. :))

John

Reply to
John Firth

What a coincidence. Was only talking about the old fibre type last week when lack of a suitable plastic fitting was holding up a younger person than me from doing a job. While showing him that in this instance a couple of quickly whittled wooden wedges hammered in to the wall would provide a fixing the subject came up. We decided there might be a market in selling Organic wallplugs as anything with the word Organic in it seems to be the new buzz marketing word taking over from the word Digital.

G.Harman

Reply to
oldship

Too late, think theyre called matchsticks - thats what I use most of the time.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Yes you can still get them e.g. Toolfast Direct in Scotland

If I was a plug short for a job I raided the children's pencil box for an old pencil nub and used that.

OK how do you make model trees from fibre rawl plugs John ?

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

I just use them for the trunks. I get a long length of wire - usually the earth wire from an electrical cable, obviously not the stranded type :-)) I stick one end into the rawl plug to the length I want the trunk to be then I bend the wire back on itself at the height I wish the tree to be so that you have a single wire in the rawl plug and a double wire for the rest. Stick the top end in the vice and insert strands of the old ( again) type of string ( the white or creamy stuff that comes apart easily) from the top downwards as you twist the wire in the vice . Finally trim the finished tree to preferred shape and spray it to choice of colour .

John

Reply to
John Firth