welding supervisor

Hi, I'm currently doing a welding supervisors certificate(Structural) in Australia. I have studied like I have never studied before for this upcoming
exam, I am hoping somebody out there has done this exam before and could give me some tips on the types of questions that may be asked. If anyone has access to old exams I would be greatly appreciative for a read. Regards Rod

Have you taken a metallurgy class? :) I did. It was cool as anything too! :)
A top-notch welder owes it to himself and those relying on his welds to take one, when he gets a chance. Let alone a welding supervisor. :)
I'm not a welder (6011 rod or nuthin, well... unless it's A/O and a coat hanger;) just a hobby knife maker/fixer and studying steel metallurgy as a hobby too.
"welding is casting" -Richard "Curly" Hastings
Anyway, the test would be a snap for a welder with a metallurgy class under his belt, I bet. :) You'll understand in-detail all the real-world problems with welding and casting and how to mimimize them. (since you can't get rid of them entirely;)
Yep, I've read welding books. :) Holy crap, what bullshit they contain. :/
Alvin in AZ

Hi Alvin, I have a very basic metallurgical background. During this certificate I have discovered words that I can't pronounce let alone remember, that is why I have asked the question of anyone out there who has done a Supervisors certificate and could help me out on the types of questions asked. I teach welding at a local technical college which has kept my theory up to scratch in basic terms. By the way, any suggestions on decent metallurgy web sites that discuss things like typical applications for low and high nickel alloy steels, carbon manganese steels, quench and tempered steels, Stainless steels (austenitic, martensitic, ferritic and duplex), weathering steels and some of the physical and mechanical properties of each. I have had a quick search of the net and found efunda to be okay. any other suggestions? Regards Rod

Heck yeah. :) ASM's :) Bring a little money tho. (don't want no riff-raff hangin around;)
Lincoln got a website forum?
There used to be a couple real good welding newsgroups. Got cross posted with rec.crafts.metalworking sometimes and was usually good stuff.
This newsgroup looks dead but all a guy has to do is ask a specific on-topic question and it comes alive. :)
Funny to me, since the questions tend to be things I never even knew existed, let alone, needed an answer. :)
I've got a suggestion for a book for you... Metallurgy Theory and Practce by Dell K Allen About $10 shipping and all (in the US). I'm sure you'll like how it's written. :)
Alvin in AZ (dumbest guy on s.e.m)

Rod:
Some useful steel related web sites follow.
Key to steel has lots of short articles in their knowledge base http://www.key-to-steel.com/default.aspx?ID=Articles
John D. Verhoeven wrote a textbook on the"Metallurgy of steel for bladesmiths and others who heat treat and forge steels" which you can download as an 8Mb Acrobat file at: http://www.feine-klingen.de/PDFs/verhoeven.pdf
There are also two technical handbooks from Atlas Metals (Au!) http://www.atlasmetals.com.au/Technical_Handbooks.asp
A to Z or materials has lots of information www.azom.com
Steelynx (turn on your pop-up blocker first!) has links to oodles of steel related web sites www.steelynx.net
Pittsburgh Pete
DISCLAIMER
We do not believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Do not worry, be happy.