Alclad compatibility with Xtracolour ?

Hi,

I know the Alclad instructions mention that for some shades, you have to use acrylic gloss black (and for others enamel based paint). Has this anything to do with the chemical compatibility between Alclad and for example Xtracolour gloss black (the lacquer based, not the acrylic). On the same note : Alclad recommends cellulose thinner instead of white spirit. Why ?

Thanks for any advice,

Pierre

Reply to
Pierre Francois

Hi,

I know Alclad recommends gloss black as a base coat, but for some shades it's acrylic and for others lacquer. Question : why ? Does it have anything to do with the chemical reaction between Alclad and the lacquer based gloss black (like the one I use from Xtracolour), or does it only affect the end result ? Alclad also recommends using cellulose thinner for cleaning, and NOT white spirit. Why ?

thanks for any advice

Pierre

Reply to
Pierre Francois

Alclad is a cellulosic lacquer and an enamel-based paint might react to the solvents.

For cleaning purposes. Alclads are already thinned for use with an airbrush.

Reply to
Serge D. Grun

The base coat reccomended for Alclad II is "acrylic lacquer." Some labelling left the "lacquer" part off. Acrylic Laquer uses a lacquer carrier and an acrylic resin. Usually used for painting cars, maybe available in hardware store. Do not use acrylic model paint for base.

IIRC Alclad II is lacquer/cellulose based. You need those thinners for clean up. White spirit/mineral spirits may not work. I had a URL for the Alclad reference page but now I can't find it. Anyone got that? Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Figures I'd find it right after I pressed send! 8^)

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Thanks, now I'm completely confused. I just got a mail from the guy at Alclad who sez he uses Tamiya gloss black ??? (maybe from a can ?)

Reply to
Pierre Francois

Yes, Tamiya rattle cans are acrylic lacquers.

Reply to
Ron

And here's their official website:

.