paints: Humbrol replacement may be needed

With Humbrol/Airfix/Heller in extremely deep trouble, I find myself in need of a new default paint range, just in case Humbrol doesn't revive.

I'm looking for a range of paints, that meets the following criteria:

Easy availability - I'd rather not have to wait several weeks for that one jar of paint to arrive by mail order. Good selection of basic and aircraft colours - I could scrounge up just about any colour I can image by combining the various ranges out there, but chemical incompatibility will bite at the worst of times.. Off the shelf thinner - I want good results with non brand specific thinners, like water, alcohol or white spirits. The brand specific stuff would bankrupt me.

I honestly don't care whether the range is acrylic or solvent based. I have to exclude Revell as a candidate though, as 30 years of experience indicates these paints aren't worth the trouble you invite by trying to work with them.

Does anyone know of such a range? How usefull is, for example, the Italeri range?

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Rob,

I use mainly Xtracolour (Hannants) because of the colours, and because - being glossy - it sprays well (not much overspray). It needs a good matt undercoat otherwise the paint doesn't "bite". You need some experience to find the right thinning ratio : it depends on the colour, and on the age of the paint. It is soluble in white spirit (a cheap brand from your local DIY will do). The smell isn't too bad if you use an "odorless" white spirit. It dries relatively fast (I mean it takes a few hours, not days). The only problem I have is availability (everything has to come from the UK, although there is a hobby shop in Brussels). The other brand I use is Modelmaster, mainly the metallizers and white and black. The airbrush thinner from MM is ok, although I have found out that white spirit works too. I have tried acrylics but you can't teach an old dog new tricks...Xtracrylics do not work for me : they clog my airbrush (dry too fast). I suppose with the right thinner, but why change ? The Xtracolour metallics are non-buffable but resist masking with Tamiya tape.

hope this helps

Pierre

Reply to
Pierre Francois

Rob van Riel wrote

You keep a log book of your modelling? Wow... I thought I was organised with a spreadsheet list of my unbuilt kits! Guess I've got a long way to go...

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob

How about 3x5 cards with a list of the paints one used on such model as well as any modifications? It worked so well except for one problem - the human didn't keep it up. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Well, I try. I did just find out the last entry was almost a year old, but then, its been busy, and not much plastic activity to log either. I just hate it when real life gets in the way like that..

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel