Badger airbrush from USA?

Has someone, possibly from Europe or better from Italy, ever bought an airbrush from this on-line store?

they have the best prices I suppose in the world. In Italy the Badger 150-5 set (airbrush and three nozzles and needles (xf - il - hd) cost about 180 euros in Hobby-Airbrush site I found the price is 67,48 euros and 78,98 euros for the set with wooden box, it's an enormous difference! Is Hobby-Airbrushes a realiable shop?!? Pietro

Reply to
Pietro

Actually I don't know that site, but check out Dixie Art.. they are very reliable, and the cheapest I've yet to come across:

Have fun; airbrush shopping it GOOOOOD times!

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Pietro--As Stephen said, Dixiart has great prices--as well, they have incredible customer service. I've bought a couple airbrushes from them, one of which I had to return, and it was a 'no questions asked' deal. If I'm ever in the need for an airbrush again, I would go there.

Reply to
Disco58

Got my Badger 360 from Dixie Arts. Best price I could find.

Reply to
Willshak

Pietro, I don't know what the customs are like in Italy, but when I have goodies shipped over from the US, they have the nerve to tax me in such a way that it is cheaper to buy in Europe. It's disgusting, agreed, but that's the way that it is. I don't wanna be a spoilbrat, but inform yourself before having things shipped from the US !

trikke

"Willshak" schreef >> Pietro--As Stephen said, Dixiart has great prices--as well, they have

Reply to
patrick antoni

I also recommend Dixie Art. Regarding the Badger 150 -- I have one and it is a great airbrush but it is an older design meant primarily for use with solvent based paints. It has a tendency to clog with the thicker water based paints. Unless they have redesigned the nozzles in recent years this could be a problem for you if you use the water based acrylic paints. The Badger

155 is a similarly priced airbrush with a redesigned nozzle that works well with both solvent and water based paints. I believe most of the newer airbrushes on the market now use this style nozzle.

J. Bright

Reply to
Jim Bright

patrick antoni ha scritto:

I have never bought goodies from foreign countries so I don't know what the customs are like in Italy, thank you I'll ask for that.

It's disgusting, agreed, but that's the way

It's also disgusting that in Italy the same airbrush cost 100 euros more than in USA, but strangely it's not the same thing for kits. Pietro

Reply to
Pietro

Jim Bright ha scritto:

I use Gunze and Tamiya alcool based paints, do you know is there are the same problems with those paints too? And about the water based paints like Vallejo or Lifecolor could be useful the use of a retarding additive? Pietro

Reply to
Pietro

I think that alcohol based paints would probably be in the same category as water based. When I tried using acrylic paint about six or seven years ago I had frequent problems with my Badger 150 plugging up or spitting. I asked a professional painter, who does specialty work for a model manufacturer, what the problem might be. He advised me about the need for a certain type nozzle for acrylic paints -- he was using a Badger 155. I bought a Badger 175 for heavy work and an Iwata HP-BC for fine work. I have never had a plugging problem with either of those airbrushes. I wish I had gotten a 155 instead of the 175 though as the 175 is a bit too heavy duty for most of my needs.

Even acrylic paint that was highly thinned for weathering caused my 150 to spit, usually at just the wrong time. I don't know if there is any additive that would truly be effective to prevent the problem.

J. Bright

Reply to
Jim Bright

patrick antoni ha scritto:

If your good gets trapped in the Italian custom office, you should expect to pay from 15 to 25% for duties, then another 20% VAT on (price+s&h+duties). As a rule of thumb, I add 40% to the selling price + shipping and check that price against MSRP here in Italy. If that's still 25% (or higher) cheaper, than it's worth it.

Cheers Rick

Reply to
rick

Pietro,

Alternatively, you might want to check out the Harder & Steenbeck line of airbrushes. I have the Evolution model (which I haven't used yet) that seems very nicely made.

Since they're made in Germany, you might be able to avoid the customs that you'd pay on an airbrush shipped from the U.S.

Regards, David Bono

Reply to
David Bono