Xtracrylic paints?

Any opinions on this new line of paints? Any tips on thinners for airbrushing?

Mark Levine

--

Reply to
Mark Levine

Two Bobs had some at their stand at the Nationals with some paint ups on display. Dave Hannant was conveniently standing nearby so we chatted a bit about color matching. It looks like a decent line of paint but I can't get real enthused about another line of acrylic. I'd rather see Floquil's WWII line return. It should be a fine addition to the European market.

If you've got a store nearby that's going to stock the line, that's the paint to go with. I would imagine you can thin it with isopropanol; get a pot of their thinner, smell it and match it with something from the hardware store.

I've still got Compucolor I haven't used up yet! and Humbrol...and 10cent bottles of Testors and Pactra... hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I have just bought a whole list of these acrylics from Hannants. I will let you know what I think of them.

They seem to be the only set of acrylics where I can get RAF Rescue yellow for the Sea King I am building. I also like the fact that I can colour matcg from FS numbers which I can't do with the only supplier locally who only stocks Tamiya.

I will report back when i have used them

David

Reply to
David Pennington

Haven't tested airbrushing yet, but with a hair brush they work fine. Very light grey covered almost black in two thin layers.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Okay, they're acrylic, but what's the chemical composition/solvent/thinner? I often apply both Tamiya and Polly Scale colors to the same model, and find that with care I can do this, but it would be nice to get a heads-up on the composition. There's little point to buying one or two colors otherwise unavailable if I can't use them with existing paint stocks--otherwise I have to scrap what I have or about double the number of tins and bottles I have.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I'd like to second that in a big way...

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

Yes I have just used them on two aircraft, one on Classic Airframes Seahawk and one Vietnam camo f-4. as with all acrylics they dry up quickly in the airbrush when you try to do fine line work but I managed to spray the Vietnam set without masking and got a good result,

The paint goes on like velvet, just like the proverbial baby's bot. they are a gloss finish but not the gloss you get on auto paints, I have coated with their varnish and with KLEAR (future) with no problems. the paint is dry in no time at all and I sprayed each colour straight after each other.

The paint will thin with WATER straight from the tap or you can use their thinners which looks like water but isn't.

at the end the paint jars just rinse out under the tap and the airbrush needed a proper clean out at the end of the session, it was built up in the tip but a drop of cellulose thinners worked wonders here.

my thoughts, lovely paint but not quite as easy to manage those freehand schemes, overall coverage though is excellent, be brave and try it

Reply to
Ted Taylor

Thanks for the follow-up. These sound like they're worth trying.

MArk Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I forgot to mention that I also tried the paint with a retarder in it which helped a bit and had no adverse effect.

I feel that the paint is not as hard wearing as enamels so if you intend to handle the model a lot then coat it with Klear at least.

Reply to
Ted Taylor