(Obit) Have any of you been to hie exhibit?

Have any of you been to hie exhibit?
I went there with fellow members of the South bay metalworking club.
It was fabulous.
Engineman.

This obituary was in today's San Jose Mercury News:
Jacques Mequet Littlefield Tank Scholar and Collector, Jacques Mequet
Littlefield, who assembled one of the largest private collections of
military vehicles in the world and championed open space in the mid-
Peninsula, has died in Portola Valley, California. He was 59 years old
and had battled cancer for the past decade. Jacques' fascination with
armored vehicles began in his childhood when he started building
plastic models of tanks. While in college, he built his first scale
model, radio-controlled tank. He acquired his first full-sized vehicle
in 1975. In 1998 Jacques set up the Military Vehicle Technology
Foundation to manage his collection of over one hundred fifty vehicles
and restore new additions. The collection ranges from a World War II
era U.S. Army M3A1 wheeled scout car, the first acquisition, to a
Soviet-era mobile Scud Missile launcher, and includes such famous
tanks as the U.S. Sherman and Patton class; U.K. Centurion, Conqueror
and
Chieftain; German WWII vehicles including a Panther; and Soviet-era
Russian tanks. The complete inventory is available at

Jacques was considered a scholar and expert on the history of armored
warfare and the foundation helps serve the interests of authors,
historians, educators, the defense industry, veterans groups, model
makers and the entertainment industry. The collection is housed at
Pony Tracks Ranch in the hills above Portola Valley, which the family
acquired in the mid-1970s. Pony Tracks was the country estate of
former San Francisco mayor and California governor James "Sunny Jim"
Rolph, Jr. Over the years, Jacques restored many of the old buildings
on the ranch, such as the stables, and acquired additional property
helping to maintain open space in the hills above Portola Valley.
Jacques was the son of the late Edmund Wattis Littlefield and Jeannik
Mequet Littlefield. He was born November 21, 1949 in San Francisco,
California. His father was CEO of Utah International and served on
many corporate boards during his career. He is survived by his mother,
a strong supporter of the arts and a member of the Chairman's Council
of the San Francisco Opera; his brother, Edmund Littlefield, Jr.; and
sister, Denise Littlefield Sobel. Jacques also is survived by his
wife, Sandy Montenegro Littlefield, and five children: David, Scott,
Allison, Jacques Jr. and Jeannik, and one grandson, Kingsley. Jacques
grew up in Burlingame and attended Cate School in Carpinteria,
California before studying at Stanford University where he received
his Bachelor's degree in 1971 and an MBA two years later. He worked
for Hewlett Packard as a manufacturing engineer before focusing solely
on building his museum and restoration facility. Jacques served on the
boards of the George S. Patton Museum in Fort Knox, Kentucky, the Cate
School, the Coyote Point Museum for Environmental Education, the
Hoover
Institution, the California Academy of Sciences, and the Filoli
Center. He was a member of the Bohemian Club and Captain of the
Sempervirens camp. A viewing will be held at Roller Hapgood & Tinney
Funeral Directors, 980 Middlefield Rd in Palo Alto, on Saturday,
January 10, 3:00 to 6:00, and a public memorial service for Jacques
will be scheduled for the near future. In lieu of flowers, the family
suggests a contribution to one of the organizations Jacques supported:
The Patton Museum, Cate School, the Coyote Point Museum for
Environmental Education, the California Academy of Sciences, the
Hoover Institution or the Filoli Center.
Published in the San Jose Mercury News on 1/9/2009
jcr
Reply to
erngineman
Yep - I was with you at the time and with my beloved et. al. We still enjoy looking at the fantastic set of pictures (not our pictures) but the tanks and such. My wife being a History major and nut.
I sincerely hope the U.S. Army places a plaque on the site in long thanks to him for the rich research material he constantly provided for them.
The tanks and such were not for war movies and not to be even scratched.
He had a powerful and unbelievable home shop to lift the turrets off tanks for repair while inside 'tank bays'!
It is a shame to loose him at such a young age. Such is life.
He related to some of the trouble in bringing in some of the machines.
One, the complete mobile SCUD missile launcher and missile was met with lots of men with mean faces at the docs. Proof by disassembly of the missile - no explosives allowed... And then he was allowed to have it trucked home.
Another - pulling up a tank that had been in a canal since the battle in WWII - the soft sides, the heavy lift. The viable model - lack of air. It had black oxide that protected the machine and now it is on display.
The hunt often was during and just after a battle in a third world country and before the metal and scrap dealers came and carted off the battlefield. (since and before Napoleon ?!).
As he told us, his agents, on a world wide basis are looking for 'stuff'. They have a list and some governments have the goods. Now for scrap time...
Don't we wish we had that hobby of world travel and point and say - get that!
I'm putting this into the storage directory of the pictures of his three large storage and show shops and the contents along with the working shops.
Martin
erng> Have any of you been to hie exhibit?
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn