Help finding tiny brass screw, please?

I need a small brass screw to repair an old lighter. I'm sorta "trolling" to find a source for one. it's 0.360" long with a shaft is about 0.050" in diameter. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Jeepers

It would be useful if you mentioned the thread pitch, head shape, and drive type. A #0-80 thread is .060 od and a common American/english size. In metric 1.2x.25 (.0472"od) and 1.4x.3 (.0551"od) are common sizes. There are other possibilities.

-- Lou Boyd

Reply to
Louis Boyd

Try a local watchmaker/jeweller or optician

Reply to
Umineko

If you have ever trashed an old cheapo digital watch. and I mean those real cheap ones for a couple of dollars you can salvage some real small screws.

Reply to
Jimbo D

Go to smallparts.com

Reply to
Scott A. Bregi

Thanks I'll go look!

Reply to
Jeepers

head diameter: .095" shaft diameter: .050 overall length: .360 thread pitch unknown: broken off in another piece

Reply to
Jeepers

too big for glasses or watches

Reply to
Jeepers

Cool, I'll go look there, thanks!

Reply to
Jeepers

All manner of screws, washers, nuts bolts, and taps!!!

Perry Murlless

The "0" is the machine screw number, the "80" is 80 threads per inch, the last number is the length. Check this chart, it appears you need either a 0-80 or 00-90:

Of course, if the lighter is imported you might need a metric size...

Jeepers wrote:

Reply to
Bob Robinson

Thanks Pete. I'm gonna try to fabricate it. Wish me luck.

Reply to
Jeepers

Yes, the nomenclature goes like this. First is the diameter of the screw. Like for wire gauge, rather than physical size in fractions of an inch, for example, there are numbers. The higher the number, the smaller the diameter. A few numbers do correspond to reasonable fractions, i.e, #10 is about 3/16 of an inch. You need a screw chart to figure out actual diameter.

Next value is threads per inch. There are two very popular screw series, National Fine and National Coarse. The fine thread series is sometimes called SAE, because they are popular in automobiles.

Last number is length of screw in inches.

Another necessary part of a screw nomenclature is the head type.

It used to be you needed expensive handbooks that had the necessary charts. There are now some on the internet. I don't have addresses, though. I just downloaded it and printed it for my wall in shop. These charts identify the correct drill size to drill if you will be threading the hole, and the right drill for the screw to go in without threads (clearance size).

If you plan to use such screws, you should get ahold of >

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Correction: The lower the number, the smaller the diameter. #2 is smaller than #10.

Whenever I need to find the drill size for a hole, I google on:

drill tap reference

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski

You have it backwars for screws, the higher the number the larger the screw.

Also National Special threads, most common in guns and optics.

Do a google on tap drill chart and you'll get thousands of hits.

Reply to
Ron

In fact, it is really easy to calculate. Nominal diameter, D, is given by D = 0.060" + 0.013" x N where N is the screw size number. Thus #10 is 0.060+0.130 = 0.190" very slightly over 3/16" # 0 is 0.060+0.0 = 0.060"

SOme people *hate* negative numbers so smaller than #0 are labeled #00 and #000. Just use -1 and -2 respectively in the above formula so for a #00-90 screw #00 is 0.060-0.013 = 0.047"

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Reply to
Jerry Wass

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I might be too late for this but most shops that sell model railroad equipment will have an assortment of small screws.

Randy

Reply to
Ivana or Randy